From: Barry, Christopher on
On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 04:14 +0200, Hoggins! wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to make browsing work over several routed subnets, but
> obviously, something goes wrong. Here's the situation :
>

> !-----------!
> ! hgsserver ! (SAMBA HOST)
> !-----------!
> |

> |192.168.2.0/24 !----------! 192.168.3.0/24
> |-----------------! wifigate !------------- - - -
> | !----------! (several wireless WinXP boxes)
> |

> !--------------!
> ! WinXP box !
> ! "hoggins" !
> !--------------!

SNIP...
> My browse.dat does not contain all I need, it just contains my machine
> ("hoggins") and the server. I would like to have all the other hosts
> that are on subnet 192.168.3.0/24. These hosts have received the
> server's IP address as the WINS server in their DHCP transaction, and I
> can see they communicate with it when doing an ethereal analysis.
> But the browse list remains desperately empty from these hosts.
>
> Any ideas on how to solve this really annoying problem ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Hoggins!

For each host on 192.168.3.0/24, manually add in the WINS address of
hgsserver in the wireless NIC configuration. Because WINS does not jump
routers, you'll need to tell the client where to find this information.

--
Regards,
Christopher Barry

Barry, Christopher a ?crit :
> On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 04:14 +0200, Hoggins! wrote:
> SNIP...
>
> For each host on 192.168.3.0/24, manually add in the WINS address of
> hgsserver in the wireless NIC configuration. Because WINS does not jump
> routers, you'll need to tell the client where to find this information.

Well, I already did that. It's not manually added, but it's sent through
DHCP. I checked that every machine on 192.168.3.0/24 had the correct info.
So I don't really think the problem comes from the clients, but from the
server instead. My firewall is apparently not the problem, because it
blocks nothing on this side.
My opinion is that my server configuration is faulty. Did you have a
look at it, and did you find errors ? I'm actually thinking of starting
from scratch, but I'm not even sure this will solve my problems.

Thanks anyway.

If anyone can help me on this, it would be wonderful.

Hoggins!

Barry, Christopher wrote:

> For each host on 192.168.3.0/24, manually add in the WINS address of
> hgsserver in the wireless NIC configuration. Because WINS does not jump
> routers, you'll need to tell the client where to find this information.

This is not entirely correct. Many routers can be configured to forward
NetBIOS and WINS frames. Firewalls that split subnets off different
interfaces can do it too. However, it can be messy to forward broadcast
frames.
On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 19:00 +0200, Hoggins! wrote:
> Barry, Christopher a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 04:14 +0200, Hoggins! wrote:
> > SNIP...
> >
> > For each host on 192.168.3.0/24, manually add in the WINS address of
> > hgsserver in the wireless NIC configuration. Because WINS does not jump
> > routers, you'll need to tell the client where to find this information.
> >

> Well, I already did that. It's not manually added, but it's sent through
> DHCP. I checked that every machine on 192.168.3.0/24 had the correct info..
> So I don't really think the problem comes from the clients, but from the
> server instead. My firewall is apparently not the problem, because it
> blocks nothing on this side.
> My opinion is that my server configuration is faulty. Did you have a
> look at it, and did you find errors ? I'm actually thinking of starting
> from scratch, but I'm not even sure this will solve my problems.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> If anyone can help me on this, it would be wonderful.
>
> Hoggins!

does the WINS server have a route to this wireless net, or is it
responding out the default gateway?

have you tcpdumped the interfaces on anything yet?

--
Regards,
Christopher Barry
Manager of Information Systems
SilverStorm Technologies, Inc.
O: 610-233-4870
F: 610-233-4777
C: 267-242-9306

chris barry a ?crit :
> On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 19:00 +0200, Hoggins! wrote:
>
> does the WINS server have a route to this wireless net, or is it
> responding out the default gateway?
>
> have you tcpdumped the interfaces on anything yet?

All the routes are static, and the two hosts can ping each other without
problems. The routing works perfectly fine.
Having tcpdumped a bit what was going on, I could only figure that the
machines are correctly registering to the server, and the servers
responds that it's okay.
The real problem is that it simply does not fill the browse.dat file
with other entries than itself and the WinXP box that is on the same subnet.
With a closer look to wins.dat, I can see that all the machines are
present, and have the correct IP addresses.

So my personal conclusion is that there is a misconfiguration of samba
somewhere, that makes it generate a browse list only for it's own
subnet. I think it's weird.

Thanks for helping