From: jkadtke on
Hello,

I have recently had a major system crash of my Windows XP on my
Sony Vaio laptop. It is looking like I may have to re-install the whole
system from my original Sony system CDs. The problem is that
these disks are pretty old ( 2001 ). So my questions is: once
installed, can the online Windows automatic update service smoothly
and consistently bring the system up to date ( e.g. install service
pack 2, SP 3, etc. in proper order ) or is this just too much to
ask starting from such an old version ?

thanks, Jim
From: Jim on
You should have no trouble installing XP from the Sony CDs.
However, after connecting to the internet, install your AV program. Connect
to the internet and install SuperAnti Spyware and MBAM. Start you AV
program.

What you do next depends on which version of XP the Sony disks contain. If
you have SP1, then download SP3, disable the AV, and install it. If you
have XP Gold, download SP2, disable the AV, and install SP2. Enable the AV,
download SP3, disable the AV, and install SP3.
Enable the AV. Install the updates since SP3.

Now, you need to install all of your third party programs.

Jim

From: Mark Adams on

"jkadtke" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have recently had a major system crash of my Windows XP on my
> Sony Vaio laptop. It is looking like I may have to re-install the whole
> system from my original Sony system CDs. The problem is that
> these disks are pretty old ( 2001 ). So my questions is: once
> installed, can the online Windows automatic update service smoothly
> and consistently bring the system up to date ( e.g. install service
> pack 2, SP 3, etc. in proper order ) or is this just too much to
> ask starting from such an old version ?
>
> thanks, Jim

Shouldn't be any problem to download updates. If your original disks didn't
include Service Pack 1 (XP without any service pack), download and install
SP2 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a

SP2 contains all of SP1.

If your original disks do include SP1, download the SP3 iso image here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e

Burn the image to CD and install from the CD. You must be at SP1 level or
better in order to install SP3.
Turn on the Windows firewall and set Automatic Updates to "notify you but do
not download or install updates". Use "Custom Install" to choose the updates
that you want to install.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
HOW TO do a clean install of Win7: See "Using the Custom installation option
and formatting the hard disk" section of
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

HOW TO do a clean install of Vista: See the "If you want to reinstall
Windows Vista by performing a clean installation..." section of
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-Vista

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you will have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

From: Richard in AZ on

<catatonic-state(a)today.com> wrote in message news:cmujt5l9aiucq42esmf0n82jo8kh504ob7(a)4ax.com...
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:10:53 -0500, "Jim" <j.n(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>

>>You should have no trouble installing XP from the Sony CDs.
>>However, after connecting to the internet, install your AV program. Connect
>>to the internet and install SuperAnti Spyware and MBAM. Start you AV
>>program.
>>
>>What you do next depends on which version of XP the Sony disks contain. If
>>you have SP1, then download SP3, disable the AV, and install it. If you
>>have XP Gold, download SP2, disable the AV, and install SP2. Enable the AV,
>>download SP3, disable the AV, and install SP3.
>>Enable the AV. Install the updates since SP3.
>>
>>Now, you need to install all of your third party programs.
>>
>>Jim
>
> I know I'm a dummy when it comes to all this stuff, but I have to ask
> why all the enabling and disabling if the anti-virus software? Why
> not just install all the service packs BEFORE installing the AV
> software, or any other software? Of course that would mean only
> downloading the service packs and not going to other sites that might
> have viruses. Maybe I'm wrong, but what you said seems pretty
> backwards. Better yet, can't a person just download ALL the service
> packs and put them on a CD or Flash stick, BEFORE installing them?
> Maybe even download them on another computer that already has
> everything installed.

You can get the Service Packs downloaded to a flash drive, or CD, and use that to install, but you
cannot get the many other security updates as a separate file. That you have to get from the web.
True, the MS site may be safe, but when you are connected to the Internet you always have some
vulnerability to bad guys.
Also consider that some users have only factory restore disks that pre-install an antivirus program
before you get a chance to start your updates.

The advice given is "always the safe way".

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Can't Share Folder
Next: XP boot failure -- help !