From: Boe on
Hi,

I am posting this in this group as it is not an issue related to a
script I am having a user run which queries various parts of WMI to
gather information. The script works great with somebody that has
administrative rights on the server, but if a user does not have the
rights, they receive the following error:

Get-WmiObject : Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005
(E_ACCESSDENIED))

I've done some research into this and made the following recommended
changes in hopes of fixing this issue:
1.Use WMIMGMT.MSC to add the user to the CIMV2 Namespace to give Full
Control (I know that I can just give Remote Enable and Execute Methods
permissions, but figured I could rollback these back later on).
2. Use DCOMCNFG to configure the security on Windows Management and
Instrumentation object for Local and Remote Launch and Activation,
Local and Remote Access and Full Control to the Launch and ACtivate
Permissions, Access Permissions and Configuration Permissions,
respectively.

I rebooted the server but still experience the same denial when
performing the query. If the user is a local admin or power user,
then there are no issues. However our security office frowns upon
anyone being in those groups, so it is a very last resort.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Boe