From: Don Olique on
Paul,

Thanks for that info. I am just starting too peek into that area, so your
posting was heavens sent.
I looked in the settings for the WiFi on my P5Q3, but did not find any WOL
settings there.
Do you know if WOL is possible on the WiFi?

tia

Don Olique

From: Paul on
Don Olique wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Thanks for that info. I am just starting too peek into that area, so your
> posting was heavens sent.
> I looked in the settings for the WiFi on my P5Q3, but did not find any WOL
> settings there.
> Do you know if WOL is possible on the WiFi?
>
> tia
>
> Don Olique

Think of the complexity, of a Wifi device recognizing new radios in the
area, connecting to them via secure protocols, listening for the Magic Packet
and so on. It would be quite complex.

At least one USB based Wifi device I looked at, seemed to have an intelligent MAC
layer, and firmware. So with its own processor inside, more things are
possible.

"Wake-On-Wireless" is mentioned here, for example. So it is not
completely discounted. It could happen...

http://www.atheros.com/news/wifiplanet.html

You'd have to know what chipset is used on your adapter, to even
begin the process of determining the actual feature set. The Wifi
would have to be powered by +5VSB, so that the radios would be powered
up when the computer was sleeping. The motherboard BIOS has an
"Energy Star 4.0c Support" [Disabled] as a default, which presumably
allows the motherboard to use +5VSB when sleeping.

The MAC chip might be on one side of the adapter, and the radio
on the other side. You'd take the part number off the MAC, and
start searching. To further complicate issues, the same MAC
chip can be used with different firmware loads, and the product
number changes as a function of its intended purpose. Even if you
enumerated via some USB utility like UVCView, there is no guarantee
the first level enumeration, would identify it in detail. Some of
the Wifi devices, have to be probed further down, to determine what
you've got. The Linux guys have a better handle on this, since they
have to write so many drivers. Perhaps booting some Linux distro,
like a LiveCD, would allow you to learn more.

I don't have any Wifi here, so haven't tried any experiments.

Paul
From: Alboon on
OK now it works, it just put my computer's IP instead of my public IP...
Sorry for that !
From: Alboon on
Alboon a �crit :
> OK now it works, it just put my computer's IP instead of my public IP...
> Sorry for that !

"i" just put*
From: Don Olique on
Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
>Alboon wrote:
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> Could someone tell me precisely what is to be enabled in the BIOS or
>> anywhere else to use the WOL function on a P5Q ?
>> I use a "freebox" (a modem provided by a french internet provider, which
>> transmits TV, DSL and phone trough the ethernet plug), which is also
>> configured as a router.
>>
>> Is it power on by PCIE device, or PCI device, or external modems, that i
>> have to enable ? Any other things to check ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
>Power On By PCI Devices - likely triggered by PME pin in PCI slot
>Power On by PCI Express devices - likely triggered by WAKE# pin in PCI Express
>slot
>
>The Ethernet chip on your board is referred to as Atheros L1E, but
>it appears Atheros bought Attansic, and it might be an Attansic
>chip. It may be PCI Express, so in the BIOS, I'd want to enable the
>second setting of the two.
>
>(L1E not listed)
>http://www.attansic.com/english/products/index.html
>
>Then, in Windows, you'd need to get to the properties page for the
>Ethernet adapter, and select the appropriate flavor of WOL there.
>Chips support different kinds of waking. For example, some chips
>support a mode where they'll wake up when any packet is received.
>They may also have a mode for waking only when a Magic Packet
>is received. On my current computer, there are two separate
>settings, such as WakeOnLan from PowerOff [Enable] and
>Allow This Device To Bring The Computer Out Of Standby.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_packet
>
>The second Ethernet chip on my motherboard, has six options
>for WakeOnLan in the properties page for that chip. One
>option being Link Change (which presumably is triggered
>if the LAN LED on the back of the computer changes state,
>such as when power is applied to the router).
>
>Details of that nature are not typically documented,
>because many Ethernet chips do not have datasheets
>available for them. Companies like Marvell or Intel
>are more likely to have full featured designs.
>Purchasing a separate Ethernet card is one
>solution, if the onboard Ethernet doesn't have
>the necessary feature in the Properties page.
>
>HTH,
> Paul

Hi,
I did all that but it doesnt work for me.
There are some settings for the APM configuration that confuse me.
When i move to the "Energy Star 4.0C Support", there is a pop-up message to the
right saying:
S3 Resume: PS2&USB sleep/wakeup function will not be supported
S4/S5 Resume: Marvell LAN, PS2&USB Devices sleep/wakeup function will not be
supported

The problem is that I cannot find these (S3, S4, S5) settings anywhere so I
don't know their position.

Are there hidden settings here?

tia

Don Olique