From: erilar on
I know my WP(AppleWorks 6) is archaic, but I've been using first
ClarisWorks, then AppleWorks for over a decade and not only are all my
documents in AW, but I don't really have to think about using it, just
about content. However, the "up"grade to SabreTooth(OS 10.6.3, known by
others as SnowLeopard) has slowed poor AW down to a snail's pace in
regard to even so basic a thing as changing fonts.

I would like to know whether there is something that would
behave(WYSIWYG fonts, keyboard shortcuts, etc.) as much like what used
to be ClarisWorks or AW(I considered AW a downgrade, too) without
costing the earth. I know about iWorks, which comes full of to me
useless extras and is not cheap.

Is there something out there I don't know about that's moderately
priced, works something like the above, and will open my documents
without destroying them?

OpenOffice and TextEdit both destroy my documents because they reject
the fonts, apparently. I get garbage with both.

I can live with the snail's pace for a while, but it's going to irritate
me more and more with time.

I am, however, having great fun getting acquainted with the iPad .

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
From: sbt on
In article
<drache-6DF960.09532006062010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.exa
mple.com>, erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> I know my WP(AppleWorks 6) is archaic, but I've been using first
> ClarisWorks, then AppleWorks for over a decade and not only are all my
> documents in AW, but I don't really have to think about using it, just
> about content. However, the "up"grade to SabreTooth(OS 10.6.3, known by
> others as SnowLeopard) has slowed poor AW down to a snail's pace in
> regard to even so basic a thing as changing fonts.
>
> I would like to know whether there is something that would
> behave(WYSIWYG fonts, keyboard shortcuts, etc.) as much like what used
> to be ClarisWorks or AW(I considered AW a downgrade, too) without
> costing the earth. I know about iWorks, which comes full of to me
> useless extras and is not cheap.
>
> Is there something out there I don't know about that's moderately
> priced, works something like the above, and will open my documents
> without destroying them?
>
> OpenOffice and TextEdit both destroy my documents because they reject
> the fonts, apparently. I get garbage with both.
>
> I can live with the snail's pace for a while, but it's going to irritate
> me more and more with time.
>
> I am, however, having great fun getting acquainted with the iPad .

Well, I would recommend taking another look at iWork (Pages is the word
processing/page layout program in it). Well I am quite willing to agree
that the UI change is somewhat daunting to someone coming from
AppleWorks, a lot of what looks like useless cruft is not as it
appears. Further, it is the only WP app of which I'm aware that does a
good job of opening AppleWorks 6 documents. That some of the
engineering staff are alumni of the AppleWorks team and, as yet another
Apple product, the source code is available to them should render this
migration path almost expected.

Frankly, I don't use iWork as much as I would like. Work requires MS
Word and Excel, so I spend far more time with those applications.
However, I don't consider $79 (retail) as "not cheap" for software of
this capability -- it's only $43 currently at Amazon.com.

Finally, if you're having fun with the iPad, the document compatibility
between the Mac version and the iPad version of Pages is pretty darn
good (font issues are the most common annoyance, since there are so
many fewer fonts available on the iPad).

--
Spenser
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<drache-6DF960.09532006062010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.exa
mple.com>,
erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> I know my WP(AppleWorks 6) is archaic, but I've been using first
> ClarisWorks, then AppleWorks for over a decade and not only are all my
> documents in AW, but I don't really have to think about using it, just
> about content. However, the "up"grade to SabreTooth(OS 10.6.3, known by
> others as SnowLeopard) has slowed poor AW down to a snail's pace in
> regard to even so basic a thing as changing fonts.
>
> I would like to know whether there is something that would
> behave(WYSIWYG fonts, keyboard shortcuts, etc.) as much like what used
> to be ClarisWorks or AW(I considered AW a downgrade, too) without
> costing the earth. I know about iWorks, which comes full of to me
> useless extras and is not cheap.
>
> Is there something out there I don't know about that's moderately
> priced, works something like the above, and will open my documents
> without destroying them?
>
> OpenOffice and TextEdit both destroy my documents because they reject
> the fonts, apparently. I get garbage with both.
>
> I can live with the snail's pace for a while, but it's going to irritate
> me more and more with time.
>
> I am, however, having great fun getting acquainted with the iPad .

Have you tried out Bean (free), to see if it's suitable for you?:

<http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html>

JR
From: Mike Rosenberg on
erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> I know my WP(AppleWorks 6) is archaic, but I've been using first
> ClarisWorks, then AppleWorks for over a decade and not only are all my
> documents in AW, but I don't really have to think about using it, just
> about content. However, the "up"grade to SabreTooth(OS 10.6.3, known by
> others as SnowLeopard) has slowed poor AW down to a snail's pace in
> regard to even so basic a thing as changing fonts.

I've seen AppleWorks 6.2.9 running on quite a few Macs, including my
own, under Snow Leopard without the performance issues you're seeing. We
should be able to do some troubleshooting and get AW running much better
on your Mac.

To start, which Mac is it, with how much RAM? In any case, I'd recommend
in general that you download and run Yasu or one of several similar
utilities.

http://jimmitchell.org/yasu/

Turn on the options to clear font caches along with the others. See if
this alone helps, and report back either way.

--
Favorite yoga position: Rosh hashavasana, the high holy pose

Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi>
Prius shirts/bumper stickers <http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi>
From: BreadWithSpam on
sbt <dogbreath(a)chaseabone.com.invalid> writes:
> In article
> <drache-6DF960.09532006062010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.exa
> mple.com>, erilar <drache(a)chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I know my WP(AppleWorks 6) is archaic, but I've been using first
> > ClarisWorks, then AppleWorks for over a decade and not only are all my

> Well, I would recommend taking another look at iWork (Pages is the word
> processing/page layout program in it). Well I am quite willing to agree
> that the UI change is somewhat daunting to someone coming from
> AppleWorks, a lot of what looks like useless cruft is not as it
> appears. Further, it is the only WP app of which I'm aware that does a
> good job of opening AppleWorks 6 documents. That some of the

I've got some old AW docs, I suppose they're older than v6
because Pages claimed it was unable to open them ("This document
was created with an unsupported version of Appleworks").

Any idea how I'd open them for conversion? It's not a lot - only
a couple of old docs and not a tragedy if I lose them. But it'd
be nice to have them anyway.

That said, to the OP - I highly recommend Pages. It's far from
perfect, but it's very nice. The page layout features are nice
and the plain old word processing is very easy.

If you want "useless cruft" you must have been talking about Word...

Once you've converted your docs, though, if you want a more basic
word processor than Pages, I encourage you to try out Bean. It's
small, light, quick and has most of the features one might want
in simple word processing. Here: <http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html>
It does not have the wysiwyg fonts menu you asked for - it's got
the fonts panel that folks are using more now. But it's a
great program. And it's free.