From: Kurt Ullman on
Mozy has been dead for more than 2 weeks so I am cancelling my account.
Any suggestions for a good offsite replacement?

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kir=E1ly?= on
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mozy has been dead for more than 2 weeks so I am cancelling my account.
> Any suggestions for a good offsite replacement?

iDisk with Apple's MobileMe is pretty good. It comes with a bunch of
other useful stuff too. It's far from the cheapest, and you only get
20GB with it.

But for me, the best offsite backup for more then 20GB of data is a pair
of external hard drives, that I swap once a week, keeping one of them at
work. I figure that if I lost all of my local backups to theft or fire
and had to resort to my offsite backup, picking up the bootable backup
from work would be a lot easier and faster than having to download
everything from one of the commercial online storage services.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
From: BreadWithSpam on
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> Mozy has been dead for more than 2 weeks so I am cancelling my account.
> Any suggestions for a good offsite replacement?

DropBox (doesn't back up whole hard drive, but keeps a folder synced
between your computer and the server - and can keep several computers
so synced - fabulous if you have more than one machine, like a laptop
and a desktop)

I've heard very good things about CrashPlan (Automatic Online Backup)
But I haven't tried it.

I've got some friends using Carbonite. I tried it and it never, over
the course of the entire free trial period, managed to back up
everything I'd asked it to. So I let the trial expire.

From: Kurt Ullman on
In article <SlaPn.6280$z%6.3726(a)edtnps83>,
me(a)home.spamsucks.ca (Kir�ly) wrote:

> But for me, the best offsite backup for more then 20GB of data is a pair
> of external hard drives, that I swap once a week, keeping one of them at
> work. I figure that if I lost all of my local backups to theft or fire
> and had to resort to my offsite backup, picking up the bootable backup
> from work would be a lot easier and faster than having to download
> everything from one of the commercial online storage services.

You know that is probably the best plan. I haven't used it in the past
because I work at home and did not have a second place to keep that.
However, since my oldest daughter is now in her own home near here, that
makes it a little easier.
Kurt

From: Greg Buchner on
In article <8oqdnXkoVKzLhZDRnZ2dnUVZ_oadnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mozy has been dead for more than 2 weeks so I am cancelling my account.
> Any suggestions for a good offsite replacement?

I've been using iDrive (the free part of it) since I got fed up with
Mozy. It's been fairly decent for backing up select important files, and
I will say that it is fairly fast. That's definitely one thing Mozy was
not, was fast.

It does do a backup where previous versions of files are saved, but that
counts against your limit. I'm fairly good about not needing old
versions of files so I have it set to sync automatically and it keeps
just the current files.

Greg B.

Actual e-mail address is gregbuchner and I'm located at gmail.com
 |  Next  |  Last