From: Scott Townsend on

So I changes the SQL Server's sa Password and now it seems to have affected
the WSS Search. I though I was using <domain>\WSSSearch as the user to log
into the DB. THough it turns out I'm not...

So in SQL I've made sure that <domain>\WSSSearch is a user, can login and
can access the DB WSS_Search_SVR-WEB_Content. It set up as the dbOwner.

Went into WSS OPerations Administration, Services on Server, Windows
SharePoint Services Help Search, then entered in:
<domain>\WSSSearch
<pw>
<domain>\WSSSearch
<pw>
and selected Windows Authentication (It was set to SQL before)

And when I reboot I get the below events in the Event log.
I'm not sure where else I need to specify the username and password, or if
there are permissions on the SQL server that also need to change.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 10036
Date: 1/21/2009
Time: 3:42:22 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SVR-WEB
A database error occurred.

Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Code: 4060 occurred 17 time(s)
the login. The login failed.

Context: Application '9d88c1f5-2c85-4018-a4eb-0045e8930162'

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Error Reporting
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5000
Date: 1/21/2009
Time: 3:51:16 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SVR-WEB
EventType ulsexception12, P1 w3wp.exe, P2 6.0.3790.3959, P3 45d691cc, P4
kernel32.dll, P5 5.2.3790.4062, P6 462643a7, P7 na, P8 dd10, P9 c06d007e,
P10 837l.

Data:
0000: 75 00 6c 00 73 00 65 00 u.l.s.e.
0008: 78 00 63 00 65 00 70 00 x.c.e.p.
0010: 74 00 69 00 6f 00 6e 00 t.i.o.n.
0018: 31 00 32 00 2c 00 20 00 1.2.,. .
0020: 77 00 33 00 77 00 70 00 w.3.w.p.
0028: 2e 00 65 00 78 00 65 00 ..e.x.e.
0030: 2c 00 20 00 36 00 2e 00 ,. .6...
0038: 30 00 2e 00 33 00 37 00 0...3.7.
0040: 39 00 30 00 2e 00 33 00 9.0...3.
0048: 39 00 35 00 39 00 2c 00 9.5.9.,.
0050: 20 00 34 00 35 00 64 00 .4.5.d.
0058: 36 00 39 00 31 00 63 00 6.9.1.c.
0060: 63 00 2c 00 20 00 6b 00 c.,. .k.
0068: 65 00 72 00 6e 00 65 00 e.r.n.e.
0070: 6c 00 33 00 32 00 2e 00 l.3.2...
0078: 64 00 6c 00 6c 00 2c 00 d.l.l.,.
0080: 20 00 35 00 2e 00 32 00 .5...2.
0088: 2e 00 33 00 37 00 39 00 ..3.7.9.
0090: 30 00 2e 00 34 00 30 00 0...4.0.
0098: 36 00 32 00 2c 00 20 00 6.2.,. .
00a0: 34 00 36 00 32 00 36 00 4.6.2.6.
00a8: 34 00 33 00 61 00 37 00 4.3.a.7.
00b0: 2c 00 20 00 6e 00 61 00 ,. .n.a.
00b8: 2c 00 20 00 64 00 64 00 ,. .d.d.
00c0: 31 00 30 00 2c 00 20 00 1.0.,. .
00c8: 63 00 30 00 36 00 64 00 c.0.6.d.
00d0: 30 00 30 00 37 00 65 00 0.0.7.e.
00d8: 20 00 38 00 33 00 37 00 .8.3.7.
00e0: 6c 00 0d 00 0a 00 l.....

From: Lionel Chen [MSFT] on
Hello Scott,

Thanks for your posts.

This is Lionel Chen, I will help you troubleshoot the Error 10036 issue.

Based on you my understanding, the scenario of the issue is as follows:

1. You had Windows SharePoint Service 3.0 installed.

2. The Service Account and Content Access Account of Windows SharePoint
Services Help Search were set to SQL Server's SA originally.

3. You changed these Accounts to <domain>\WSSSearch which had appropriate
permissions in the database.

4. You got the error 10036.

If I misunderstand your scenario, please do not hesitate to correct me.

The error 5000 is not related with Search feature, so I put my focus on the
error 10036.

I did a test on the scenario, and I got the error 10036 too.

However, the error occurred once when changing the service accounts and it
didn't affect the Windows SharePoint Services Help Search.

If the error 10036 doesn't occur regularly, we can think the service
accounts are changed successfully.

If the Windows SharePoint Services Help Search is not working property, you
could take the following actions:

1. Restart the Windows SharePoint Services Search service in Windows >
Administrative Tools > Services (or run Services.msc to open the Services
management console.).

2. If step 1 didn't work, try to change the service account again by
stsadm commands as follows:

1) "%commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\Web server
extensions\12\BIN\Stsadm.exe" -o spsearch -farmserviceaccount
<domain>\WSSSearch -farmservicepassword <password>

2) "%commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\web server
extensions\12\BIN\stsadm.exe" -o spsearch -farmcontentaccessaccount
<domain>\WSSSearch -farmcontentaccesspassword <password>

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838 for more information.

3. If step 2 didn't work, try to stop and restart the Windows SharePoint
Services Help Search in Central Administration > Operations > Services on
Server.

Note: the step need you to delete the search database and recreate a new
one.

Please let me know more information in order to do further research, if
those actions plans cannot resolve your issue.:

1. The version number of your Windows SharePoint Service 3.0 product in
Central Administration > Operations > Servers in Farm.

2. The frequency of the error occurs.

3. Other related information in ULS logs located in
%COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\LOGS.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,
Lionel Chen
Microsoft Online Support

From: Scott Townsend on
I'm not sure which came first the Chicken or the Egg... So I'm not sure
where all of the different accounts are used, but the Search Service used
'WSSSearch' as a User and there were other things that used 'WSSAmin'

I Also reset the passwords on those, and made sure that the changes were
made in WSS that I could find.

Search still was not working. I got more Errors. (-;

I went to SQL and noticed that the Search Content DB did have Permissions
for 'WSSSearch', So I added 'WSSSearch' as dbo. Still no Go.
So then I noticed Errors in the SQL event log saying that 'WSSAdmin' was
getting login attempt failed. It was also not a user for the Search Content
DB. So I also added 'WSSAdmin' as a user that could access the Search
Content DB and then rebooted.

All Seems to be better in terms of Search.

Scott<-

From: Lionel Chen [MSFT] on
Hello Scott,

Thank you for the feedback.

Based on your description, I understand the updates of this issue as below:

1 In your SharePoint farm, Windows SharePoint Services Help Search uses
the account WSSsearch, while there is an other search related account
WSSadmin.

2 You reset the passwords of WSSsearch and WSSadmin, but SharePoint
Search still doesn't work.

3 In SQL Server Management Studio, you have checked the permissions of
related accounts and add WSSSearch as dbo. You also give WSSAdmin access to
Search content database.

If I misunderstand anything, please feel free to correct me.

To narrow down the problem's scope, please let me know the following
information:

1 You mentioned "All seems to be better in terms of Search" in the last
section of your latest reply. Could you let me know more details about the
situation after rebooting? Does SharePoint Search work?

2 Please check the Event Viewer in the SharePoint server. Let me know
what errors related are logged under Application part.

3 Related information in ULS logs located in
%commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\LOGS\

4 Have you restarted SQL service, search services or IIS?

Thanks for your cooperation and patience. I will investigate further as
soon as possible after I get the information required.

Best Regards,
Lionel Chen
Microsoft Online Support

From: Lionel Chen [MSFT] on
Hello,

How are you?

I just want to say hi and see how this is going. Please drop me a quick
note at you convenience to let me know the current status of this issue. If
you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thanks, and
have a great day!

Best Regards,
Lionel Chen
Microsoft Online Support