From: Edward on
Every time I start a full crawl, the following warning gets logged in the
event log. No results ever appear in search results:

The start address
<sts3://sharepointadmin.<domainname>/contentdbid={4929e35c-647f-4b3e-9c9c-343b24d7e391}> cannot be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog
'Search'

Details:
An unrecognized HTTP status was received. Check that the address can be
accessed using Internet Explorer. (0x80041204)

This is followed by this error:

The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be accessed.
Fix the errors and try the update again.

Context: Application 'Search', Catalog 'index file on the search server
Search'

The error and warning are both usually repeated with the address of the
actual content site (not just the admin site). I must have recreated the
search database at least 25 times, and spent about 48 hours trawling through
blogs and newsgroups on this one, but absolutely nothing has worked.

Any ideas?
From: Jason Lee on
This can be caused by the Loopback Checking feature in IIS. There's a
registry hack to fix it, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861

Joel Oleson blogged on this and collated a few other solutions - might be
worth a look (link is to the cached version on Google, can't seem to hit the
page itself at the moment):

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:meRQzwCUr50J:blogs.msdn.com/joelo/archive/2007/06/14/i-m-indexing-and-i-only-get-errors.aspx+sts3+sharepoint&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

Hope that helps

--
Jason Lee
Senior Technologist

From: Edward on
Believe it or not, I've already applied the loopback checking registry hack,
and I've been through the suggestions on Joel's blog.

Please note, the error Joel refers to is an "access denied" error, whereas
mine is slightly different (the "unrecognized HTTP status was received" bit
of it).

I have also verified that it is not going through a proxy server by logging
onto the machine as the username configured to be the domain account, testing
it in IE, and disabling the proxy settings completely in IE.

From: Tweedy on
I started having the same stuff occur on one of our servers in the same
timeframe. I cannot find evidence of a KB that might have knocked something
off kilter. I'll be monitoring and will let you know if I find anything.

From: PrashanthSpark on
Actually my case sharepoint doesnt work after i do all types of
options...
throws errror :
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchJobDefinition (ID
d327ef34-10ca-4d11-ba7f-189aff2d2682) threw an exception.

System policies must have Full Control.