From: Erhard Zrust on
:confused; Well, the year is going to it's end and me, impatiently waiting, was
expecting to hear something at least 4 weeks before the release will finally
take place. Does anybody (Dean?) has any news? My boss was very pleased to
finally hear some news about how it might be going on with the shockwave
department here but now he grows impatient again. I begin to fear that my team
will be integrated into the Java department before D11 is released.
Is Adobe always this secretive about new releases (like: no beta, no hints, no
news, basically nothing?)

From: Dean Utian on
Erhard Zrust wrote:

> :confused; Well, the year is going to it's end and me, impatiently waiting, was
> expecting to hear something at least 4 weeks before the release will finally
> take place. Does anybody (Dean?) has any news?

Hi Erhard,

Adobe have spoken publicly about Director 11 at Max and other places. Quite a while
back (over a year), the special FAQ page was created with the first question being,
"When is the next version of Director software expected to be released?" At that
time, while the answer did not give a specific date, it did say it would happen in
the first half of the year. The FAQ page has changed a couple of times. It now says
that an announcement will be made before the end of the year.

You can see the FAQ at:
http://www.adobe.com/products/director/special/crossproduct/faq.html

Just taking the FAQ changes as an indication, getting Director 11 out has taken
longer than expected.

The likelihood is that the next version of Director will be in 2008. The exact date
will be decided based on production/planning/marketing and other Adobe
considerations. Keep a look out as Adobe will surely live up to their promise and
give some news as we draw to the end of the year.

regards
Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
email: d.utian(a)unsw.edu.au

From: Erhard Zrust on
hm, I know about the FAQ and was keenly following the news around MAX, which
was good news as I think (in somewhat difference to some here on the forum as I
clearly see a future place for D11 besides Flash). Just now I start to feel
uninformed again by Adobe, and as I am always asked about "good" news I run out
of what to say in the company I'm working for.

I tend to think that a clear "we have still some problems and don't want to
ship a buggy product just to ship it in 2007" would not hurt Adobe but give a
clear timeframe of what to expect.

I believe that if future releases of Director want to be accepted and they
want it to somewhat regain the place it had in the past, they have to build and
rely on the strong community the app still (and I mean literally after all
those messed up years) has. They gave hope at the MAX, afterwards they seemed
to have kinda messed up some of this again with the unclear "beta programme". I
just hope that they don't disappoint again :-)

Well, maybe it's also that I just can't wait anymore as I saw some good stuff
in the clip of the MAX (like the faster DX9, script tree view and displacement
maps) and I'm keen to get my hands on it and look what I can do now in terms of
3D-gaming :-)

Thx anyway for the quick answer

From: Dean Utian on
Erhard Zrust wrote:

> hm, I know about the FAQ and was keenly following the news around MAX, which
> was good news as I think (in somewhat difference to some here on the forum as I
> clearly see a future place for D11 besides Flash). Just now I start to feel
> uninformed again by Adobe..

Hi Erhard,

I know many are eagerly awaiting D11 or at least information on what's happening. I
will do what I can to press the need for info for the public.

From: Samuel Joseph IV on
Does Mac OS X 10.5 have anything to do with this?

I got to thinking.... The original plan by Apple was to have 10.5 out in June
for WWDC

That got backed up till October

Since there has not been an update to Director prior to Apple going to Intel

Do you think Adobe said.. well lets test this on 10.5 and that is the reason
for the delay?

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: External Cast