From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"a" <b(a)invalid.com> wrote in message news:4c3c680c$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote
>
>>> Okay, it's late here now so I will add a new admin account tomorrow
>>> and try again. Hopefully it'll all work! Does it also mean that all
>>> apps installed will have their Registry settings copied across, too?
>>> Or is it literally just the basics like my "Documents and Settings"
>>> folder? I was kind of hoping I could copy everything and just boot
>>> up as Limited with all my apps still running, too. I fear not?
>>
>> Did you install the app(s) for all users? Or just for your own account?
>
> Can't remember now, but I think they were for all. A good point to
> remember
> for future installs, too! :)
>
> Anyway, I tried to copy the Administrator account to the Limited account
> by
> using a second temp Admin account, but it failed. Here's a screenshot of
> the
> error, which is to do with "failing to set security on the dest profile":
>
> http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/361/profileerror.png

<snip>

This could happen if the account you use when copying the profile does not
have administrative privileges. You can probably resolve the issue like so:
1. Log on under an admin account.
2. Seize ownership of the "User" profile folder.
3. Set the permissions for the "User" profile folder to "Full access" for
"Everyone".
4. Repeat the "copy" process.

From: a on
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote

>> Anyway, I tried to copy the Administrator account to the Limited account by
>> using a second temp Admin account, but it failed. Here's a screenshot of the
>> error, which is to do with "failing to set security on the dest profile":
>>
>> http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/361/profileerror.png
>>
> <snip>
>
> This could happen if the account you use when copying the profile does not have administrative privileges. You can probably
> resolve the issue like so:
> 1. Log on under an admin account.
> 2. Seize ownership of the "User" profile folder.
> 3. Set the permissions for the "User" profile folder to "Full access" for "Everyone".
> 4. Repeat the "copy" process.

I was logged in as TempAdmin, which, as you can tell, was an Admin account.
But, can you please confirm for me that I was trying to copy the Admin
profile to the new correct folder, ie. "..\Documents and Settings\User" ?
Because I had to browse for a folder and wasn't sure if that was right?
Once you confirm, I'll try your steps above again.

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"a" <b(a)invalid.com> wrote in message news:4c3db04d(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote
>
>>> Anyway, I tried to copy the Administrator account to the Limited account
>>> by
>>> using a second temp Admin account, but it failed. Here's a screenshot of
>>> the
>>> error, which is to do with "failing to set security on the dest
>>> profile":
>>>
>>> http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/361/profileerror.png
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> This could happen if the account you use when copying the profile does
>> not have administrative privileges. You can probably resolve the issue
>> like so:
>> 1. Log on under an admin account.
>> 2. Seize ownership of the "User" profile folder.
>> 3. Set the permissions for the "User" profile folder to "Full access" for
>> "Everyone".
>> 4. Repeat the "copy" process.
>
> I was logged in as TempAdmin, which, as you can tell, was an Admin
> account.
> But, can you please confirm for me that I was trying to copy the Admin
> profile to the new correct folder, ie. "..\Documents and Settings\User" ?
> Because I had to browse for a folder and wasn't sure if that was right?
> Once you confirm, I'll try your steps above again.

There is no need to guess what the correct name of the profile folder is.
You can find out for sure like so:
1. Log on as User.
2. Start a Command Prompt.
3. Type this command:
set userprofile

From: Johnw on
a formulated on Wednesday :
> I was logged in as TempAdmin, which, as you can tell, was an Admin account.
> But, can you please confirm for me that I was trying to copy the Admin
> profile to the new correct folder, ie. "..\Documents and Settings\User" ?
> Because I had to browse for a folder and wasn't sure if that was right?
> Once you confirm, I'll try your steps above again.

3. Type this command:
set userprofile

set userprofile is a typo I think. Probably should be net userprofile.

More info here.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5031577.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251394
http://ss64.com/nt/

From: John John - MVP on
On 7/14/2010 8:42 PM, Johnw wrote:
> a formulated on Wednesday :
>> I was logged in as TempAdmin, which, as you can tell, was an Admin
>> account.
>> But, can you please confirm for me that I was trying to copy the Admin
>> profile to the new correct folder, ie. "..\Documents and Settings\User" ?
>> Because I had to browse for a folder and wasn't sure if that was right?
>> Once you confirm, I'll try your steps above again.
>
> 3. Type this command:
> set userprofile
>
> set userprofile is a typo I think. Probably should be net userprofile.

You certainly didn't try that before you posted...

John