From: a on
Hi all,

I usually run my PC as Administrator which I now know is dangerous,
as it can let malware in and play with the system more easily. So
I want to create a limited User account instead, but all my settings
are under the Admin profile (eg. Quick Launch icons, file associations,
and so on).

Is there an easy way to migrate these to the User account, so that when
I log in as User, my desktop is the same, icons are the same, etc?

Thanks for any advice.

From: John John - MVP on

a wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I usually run my PC as Administrator which I now know is dangerous,
> as it can let malware in and play with the system more easily. So
> I want to create a limited User account instead, but all my settings
> are under the Admin profile (eg. Quick Launch icons, file associations,
> and so on).
>
> Is there an easy way to migrate these to the User account, so that when
> I log in as User, my desktop is the same, icons are the same, etc?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Copy the user profile to the new user.

To copy a user profile
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true

John
From: a on

"John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message news:%23KtFgicILHA.4596(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> a wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I usually run my PC as Administrator which I now know is dangerous,
>> as it can let malware in and play with the system more easily. So
>> I want to create a limited User account instead, but all my settings
>> are under the Admin profile (eg. Quick Launch icons, file associations,
>> and so on).
>>
>> Is there an easy way to migrate these to the User account, so that when
>> I log in as User, my desktop is the same, icons are the same, etc?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Copy the user profile to the new user.
>
> To copy a user profile
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true
>
> John

No good, the "Copy To" button for the Administrator account is disabled,
so I can't perform Step 3 at the URL you quoted above. :(

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"a" <b(a)invalid.com> wrote in message news:4c3b2643$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au...

> "John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>>

>> a wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I usually run my PC as Administrator which I now know is dangerous,
>>> as it can let malware in and play with the system more easily. So
>>> I want to create a limited User account instead, but all my settings
>>> are under the Admin profile (eg. Quick Launch icons, file associations,
>>> and so on).
>>>
>>> Is there an easy way to migrate these to the User account, so that when
>>> I log in as User, my desktop is the same, icons are the same, etc?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> Copy the user profile to the new user.
>>
>> To copy a user profile
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true
>>
>> John
>
> No good, the "Copy To" button for the Administrator account is disabled,
> so I can't perform Step 3 at the URL you quoted above. :(

You need to reboot the machine, then log on under some third admin account
in order to perform the copy action.

From: a on

"a" <b(a)invalid.com> wrote in message news:4c3b2643$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au...

> "John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message news:%23KtFgicILHA.4596(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>

>> a wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I usually run my PC as Administrator which I now know is dangerous,
>>> as it can let malware in and play with the system more easily. So
>>> I want to create a limited User account instead, but all my settings
>>> are under the Admin profile (eg. Quick Launch icons, file associations,
>>> and so on).
>>>
>>> Is there an easy way to migrate these to the User account, so that when
>>> I log in as User, my desktop is the same, icons are the same, etc?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> Copy the user profile to the new user.
>>
>> To copy a user profile
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true
>>
>> John
>
> No good, the "Copy To" button for the Administrator account is disabled,
> so I can't perform Step 3 at the URL you quoted above. :(

Hang on, I bet it's because I haven't logged in as the Limited Account yet!
I'll be back in a moment... :)