From: annalissa on
On Aug 10, 8:52 pm, jellybean stonerfish <stonerf...(a)geocities.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:17:07 -0700, annalissa wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > suppose an Ubuntu or Linux user is using GNOME and he/she has opened too
> > many folders , suddenly he/she has to shutdown/ switch off machine due
> > to power failure or some other unexpected reasons , now when he/ she
> > reboots the machine he/she can't remember the folders he/she had opened
> > earlier so there should be a window restore feature for nautilus in
> > Ubuntu or Linux in general
>
> There is a setting in "gconf-editor" to tell gnome to save your
> windows on logout, and re-open them on the next login.  Look
> under  "/apps/gnome-session/options" for "auto_save_session"

Thanks for the information, I enabled that featute and it is now
working perfectly, only in one situation it is not working properly. I
opened many folders, then i killed nautilus using the application
"Force quit" , but when started nautilus from command line it is not
restoring all the windows which were open

From: annalissa on
On Aug 11, 9:49 am, mjt <myswtestYOURSH...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:17:07 -0700 (PDT)
>
> annalissa <aark...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > suppose an Ubuntu or Linux user
> > Ubuntu or Linux should implement the same window restore feature
> > in nautilus similar to the one existing in Mozilla firefox
>
> Some quick [technical] education:
>
> * "Linux" = the kernel
that is true but people in generaL use the term linux to mean a linux
distro ,I think it is just like the usage hard disk / hard drive to
mean the same thing but have different meanings in reality
..

From: David Brown on
On 12/08/2010 07:26, annalissa wrote:
> On Aug 11, 9:49 am, mjt<myswtestYOURSH...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:17:07 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>> annalissa<aark...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> suppose an Ubuntu or Linux user
>>> Ubuntu or Linux should implement the same window restore feature
>>> in nautilus similar to the one existing in Mozilla firefox
>>
>> Some quick [technical] education:
>>
>> * "Linux" = the kernel
> that is true but people in generaL use the term linux to mean a linux
> distro ,I think it is just like the usage hard disk / hard drive to
> mean the same thing but have different meanings in reality

It's certainly true that people often use "Linux" to mean a Linux-based
system - either referring to a particular installation, or to a
distribution.

But they don't mix up "Ubuntu" and "Linux" - "Ubuntu" is a distribution,
while "Linux" is used here as a generic term. Saying "Ubuntu or Linux"
is like saying "Ford or cars".

And "hard disk" and "hard drive" /are/ the same thing, both in common
usage and in reality.

But don't worry about trying to say "GNU/Linux". There are some people
who are keen on the term because they feel the work of FSF and GNU is
under-appreciated - they have a fair point, but the term is too
cumbersome and hasn't really caught on. It's also unfair to those who
wrote everything else that goes into a typical Linux system. While it's
true that a bare Linux kernel is little use without all the GNU programs
around it, the most visible programs in a typical Linux system are
neither Linux nor GNU. Linux + GNU programs are little real-world use
without X, Window managers, server software (web, database, etc.),
application programs, etc.

From: mjt on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:26:52 -0700 (PDT)
annalissa <aarklon(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 11, 9:49 am, mjt <myswtestYOURSH...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:17:07 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> > annalissa <aark...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > > suppose an Ubuntu or Linux user
> > > Ubuntu or Linux should implement the same window restore feature
> > > in nautilus similar to the one existing in Mozilla firefox
> >
> > Some quick [technical] education:
> >
> > * "Linux" = the kernel
> that is true but people in generaL use the term linux to mean a linux
> distro ,I think it is just like the usage hard disk / hard drive to
> mean the same thing but have different meanings in reality

Regardless, to say, "Ubuntu or Linux ..." doesn't make sense.
It should read, "Ubuntu or 'some other distro'..."

--
No violence, gentlemen -- no violence, I beg of you!
Consider the furniture! - Sherlock Holmes

From: mjt on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:01:34 +0200
David Brown <david(a)westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote:
[snipped]
> But don't worry about trying to say "GNU/Linux". There are some
> people who are keen on the term because they feel the work of FSF and
> GNU is under-appreciated - they have a fair point, but the term is
> too cumbersome and hasn't really caught on.

That was my attempt to show the different layers,
a sort of "long explanation" of your "Ford and cars"
response (nice analogy, BTW). I do understand folks
say "Linux" in a generic way, but "Ubuntu and Linux"
was such a crass statement, I had to jump in :)

And I do understand 98% of folks won't write "GNU/Linux",
I felt it important to show the distinctions.

> It's also unfair to
> those who wrote everything else that goes into a typical Linux
> system. While it's true that a bare Linux kernel is little use
> without all the GNU programs around it, the most visible programs in
> a typical Linux system are neither Linux nor GNU. Linux + GNU
> programs are little real-world use without X, Window managers, server
> software (web, database, etc.), application programs, etc.

I certainly wasn't trying to exclude all the fine folks who've
brought "everything else" to make a Linux system more usable.

GNU/Linux can be a usable system. I think most would agree
that "Linux + GNU + X, Window managers, server software
(web, database, etc.), application programs, etc." is the
"distribution" (distro) layer.

--
A triangle which has an angle of 135 degrees is
called an obscene triangle.