From: alexd on
Having a menu bar across the entire width of the screen wasting valuable
vertical pixels, I decided to shift it to the left edge, where there's
plenty of pixels to spare. It took some bludgeoning, but I've ended up
with this:

http://ale.cx/alex/leftbar2.png
http://ale.cx/alex/leftbar3.png

Basically, three panels. Two are narrow, and have the default visibility
settings [top and bottom panels]. One is much wider, and has the
'Windows can cover' option set [the middle panel]. The middle panel has
the Task Manager on, and the row settings were tweaked to show a single
column of applications. This means I can see an icon for every window on
the current desktop, and if need be I can move the mouse over the middle
panel to find an application by name.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
22:19:25 up 14 days, 21:58, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.50, 0.46
From: Folderol on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:32:04 +0100
alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Having a menu bar across the entire width of the screen wasting valuable
> vertical pixels, I decided to shift it to the left edge, where there's
> plenty of pixels to spare. It took some bludgeoning, but I've ended up
> with this:
>
> http://ale.cx/alex/leftbar2.png
> http://ale.cx/alex/leftbar3.png
>
> Basically, three panels. Two are narrow, and have the default visibility
> settings [top and bottom panels]. One is much wider, and has the
> 'Windows can cover' option set [the middle panel]. The middle panel has
> the Task Manager on, and the row settings were tweaked to show a single
> column of applications. This means I can see an icon for every window on
> the current desktop, and if need be I can move the mouse over the middle
> panel to find an application by name.

On my netbook I simply moved the top panel to the left and the bottom
one to the right, and widened both of them. Full vertical room now, and
the layout looks a lot more sensible :)

--
Will J G
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:49:00 +0100, Folderol wrote:

> On my netbook I simply moved the top panel to the left and the bottom
> one to the right, and widened both of them. Full vertical room now, and
> the layout looks a lot more sensible :)

I like a single bottom menu, so my first action on logging in to a
recently created user is to move everything I need from the top menu to
the bottom menu. Then I delete the top menu.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Tony Houghton on
In <hsfftg$cs9$1(a)localhost.localdomain>,
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:49:00 +0100, Folderol wrote:
>
>> On my netbook I simply moved the top panel to the left and the bottom
>> one to the right, and widened both of them. Full vertical room now, and
>> the layout looks a lot more sensible :)
>>

> I like a single bottom menu, so my first action on logging in to a
> recently created user is to move everything I need from the top menu to
> the bottom menu. Then I delete the top menu.

The bottom bar usually has less on it IME, or at least less that I want
to keep, so I find it quicker to move everything from the bottom to the
top, delete the bottom one and move the top one down.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Tony Houghton on
In <hsf6oh$s3v$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>,
alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Having a menu bar across the entire width of the screen wasting valuable
> vertical pixels, I decided to shift it to the left edge, where there's
> plenty of pixels to spare. It took some bludgeoning, but I've ended up
> with this:
>
> http://ale.cx/alex/leftbar2.png
> http://ale.cx/alex/leftbar3.png
>
> Basically, three panels. Two are narrow, and have the default visibility
> settings [top and bottom panels]. One is much wider, and has the
> 'Windows can cover' option set [the middle panel]. The middle panel has
> the Task Manager on, and the row settings were tweaked to show a single
> column of applications. This means I can see an icon for every window on
> the current desktop, and if need be I can move the mouse over the middle
> panel to find an application by name.

I like that. But is it KDE or GNOME? I'm not sure if you can restrict
GNOME panels to one of the ends or the middle like that.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk