From: Folderol on
I am trying to write a basic DHCP server + single page web server for an
Arduino development board with the Wiznet based Ethernet add-on.

The idea, is that any laptop/netbook with the normal DHCP
configuration can be plugged in, get its IP etc. and then fetch
a web page of information from the server.

However this doesn't work when plugging in any kind of computer at all.

Gnome based machines report 'Auto eth0 connection esablished', but if I
try to ping the server I get 'Network is unreachable'.

However, if I then try dhclient eth0 everything connects fine and I get
normal ping resposes and the browser can see the web server.

Examining the communication between the Arduino and the netbook the
message data seems identical.

I feel sure there is something really stupid that I'm missing and would
really appreciate any suggestions.

--
Will J G
From: Theo Markettos on
Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:
> Gnome based machines report 'Auto eth0 connection esablished', but if I
> try to ping the server I get 'Network is unreachable'.

What does 'ifconfig' and 'netstat -r -n' say?

Theo
From: Folderol on
On 12 May 2010 10:46:35 +0100 (BST)
Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:
> > Gnome based machines report 'Auto eth0 connection esablished', but if I
> > try to ping the server I get 'Network is unreachable'.
>
> What does 'ifconfig' and 'netstat -r -n' say?
>
> Theo

netstat gave the game away :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

option 55->3 was returning a corrupted 'router' address. dhclient
didn't seem to need this anyway, but I guess the auto startup was
assuming a router was connected and not bothering to check siaddr :(

--
Will J G