From: RodMcKay on
Just an organizational thing. Was wondering if there was something
either native to Linux Fedora or if there was a program in the
repository at least, that would allow us to organize desktop icons
into (preferably as easy as dragging and dropping "desktop" icons into
folders, or whatever, then icons appear in these hand-picked
"quadrants")?

This is not quite the thing I'm looking for but to do something
similar would do the trick:
http://www.technobuzz.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fences_image.jpg
http://www.windowsreference.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/fences2.png
http://www.technobuzz.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/desktopfences_ss6.jpg
http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgeek/files/2009/02/multiplefences.png
http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/jasonfences.jpg

Thx.

From: Geoff Clements on
RodMcKay wrote:

> Just an organizational thing. Was wondering if there was something
> either native to Linux Fedora or if there was a program in the
> repository at least, that would allow us to organize desktop icons
> into (preferably as easy as dragging and dropping "desktop" icons into
> folders, or whatever, then icons appear in these hand-picked
> "quadrants")?
>
> This is not quite the thing I'm looking for but to do something
> similar would do the trick:
> http://www.technobuzz.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fences_image.jpg
> http://www.windowsreference.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/fences2.png
> http://www.technobuzz.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/desktopfences_ss6.jpg
> http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgeek/files/2009/02/multiplefences.png
> http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/jasonfences.jpg

Isn't this what the Folder View widget in KDE 4.x does?

--
Geoff
From: RodMcKay on
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 04:33:47 -0500, Neil Ellwood
<cral.elllwood2(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:48:12 -0500, RodMcKay wrote:
>
>> Just an organizational thing. Was wondering if there was something
>> either native to Linux Fedora or if there was a program in the
>> repository at least, that would allow us to organize desktop icons into
>> (preferably as easy as dragging and dropping "desktop" icons into
>> folders, or whatever, then icons appear in these hand-picked
>> "quadrants")?
>
>I have found over the last few years that I do not like ikons all over the
>place and because of that I have turned over to E16 as my window manager.
>
>Each to his own.

Hi, thanks.

Hmmm, not sure by description that it's what could work for me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightenment_(window_manager)
I actually do need a desktop, it's just corralling the icons and
documents on it in groups that I choose that is needed. Currently I
create folders and such but that's just not good enough.

It's the only bad habit I have. I dump stuff on my desktop (in
Window$, though I'm switching over once I clear up some issues since I
won't learn more about Linux till I actually use it rather than just
LiveCD). Once I've completed the tasks needed, I'll file the work.
But in the meantime, the desktop gets full.

Though it requires the stupid .NET framework, Fences in Window$ seemed
like the ideal way to get around the cluttered desktop problem since
one can categorize the different fences by specific priorities, etc.

Again, not sure that E is for me. But hopefully someone knows of
something that will do something similar. I believe Fences was based
on a Mac idea (though not sure). I'm guessing that Linux has
something, it's just to find it.
From: RodMcKay on
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:10:07 +0100, Geoff Clements
<bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:

>RodMcKay wrote:
>
>> Just an organizational thing. Was wondering if there was something
>> either native to Linux Fedora or if there was a program in the
>> repository at least, that would allow us to organize desktop icons
>> into (preferably as easy as dragging and dropping "desktop" icons into
>> folders, or whatever, then icons appear in these hand-picked
>> "quadrants")?
>>
>> This is not quite the thing I'm looking for but to do something
>> similar would do the trick:
>> http://www.technobuzz.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fences_image.jpg
>> http://www.windowsreference.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/fences2.png
>> http://www.technobuzz.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/desktopfences_ss6.jpg
>> http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgeek/files/2009/02/multiplefences.png
>> http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/jasonfences.jpg
>>

>Isn't this what the Folder View widget in KDE 4.x does?

For the desktop?

Also, I'll be using Fedora (my preference has been for the Fedora11
LiveCD, if that's any help).

I'm a Window$ user (unfortunately) and I don't know Linux very well
though I do know more than the average Window$ user <g>.

Thanks. :oD