From: Sarahjhol on
I work in the office half the week and at home the rest, i use 3 pop3 email
accounts in outlook 2003, i want to receive mail from all three email
accounts but only really need to send out via one email account, at the
moment i'm manually changing the SMTP server details to send email via my
home broadband connection when i work from home and vice versa when back in
the office. Is there anything i can do to set up this automatically?
From: VanguardLH on
Sarahjhol wrote:

> I work in the office half the week and at home the rest, i use 3 pop3 email
> accounts in outlook 2003, i want to receive mail from all three email
> accounts but only really need to send out via one email account, at the
> moment i'm manually changing the SMTP server details to send email via my
> home broadband connection when i work from home and vice versa when back in
> the office. Is there anything i can do to set up this automatically?

Presumably you have a problem accessing the various mail servers when you
are work and then at home despite never mentioning that difficulty. If that
is your problem, define different mail profiles (Mail applet in Control
Panel): one mail profile for home and another for work. Do not select a
default mail profile. That means you will be prompted when you start
Outlook as to which mail profile you want to use, and pick whichever one is
appropriate to your location. Also, if accessing mail servers is a problem
when you are work versus home, it is unlikely that you can specify the same
outgoing mail server in both mail profiles because you can only access that
one mail server from one of your locations.

If all mail servers are available regardless of whether at work or home,
what's wrong with having all accounts defined in the same mail profile and
receiving your e-mail there? That's probably your current setup with which
you did NOT say would not function as you wish. If all mail servers are
available no matter where you are, and if you want your recipients to see
only one e-mail address to where they send their e-mails to you, specify
whatever you like as the one e-mail address to which you want to receive
e-mails in each account you defined in Outlook. The e-mail address of your
outbound messages does not have to match the e-mail address of the account
through which you send those messages (rare few mail servers enforce the
same e-mail address in the From header as the account used to send the
e-mail).