From: Jackie on
On 5/25/2010 20:47, nki00 wrote:
>>> 1. I use the URL to connect to a web server via a win socket. What is the
>>> exact protocol of data exchange here?
>>
>> MP3 stream over HTTP/ICY.
>
> You see, my question is -- how do you know that the stream I gave above is
> "MP3 stream over HTTP/ICY"?
>
> What is the methodology?

The server would have to somehow let the client know what kind of stream
it is.
I assumed one would need to check an HTTP header or something on the
response, and I think I guessed it right.

I used Wireshark to monitor some traffic to/from a SHOUTcast server and
I spotted this in the response:

content-type:audio/mpeg

That would be MP3, I guess, and that's how you know what kind of stream
it is.
From: Jackie on
On 5/25/2010 23:39, Jackie wrote:

> The server would have to somehow let the client know what kind of stream
> it is.
> I assumed one would need to check an HTTP header or something on the
> response, and I think I guessed it right.
>
> I used Wireshark to monitor some traffic to/from a SHOUTcast server and
> I spotted this in the response:
>
> content-type:audio/mpeg
>
> That would be MP3, I guess, and that's how you know what kind of stream
> it is.

Please have a look here:

http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_mimeref.asp
From: Dee Earley on
On 25/05/2010 19:47, nki00 wrote:
>>> 1. I use the URL to connect to a web server via a win socket. What is the
>>> exact protocol of data exchange here?
>>
>> MP3 stream over HTTP/ICY.
>
> You see, my question is -- how do you know that the stream I gave above is
> "MP3 stream over HTTP/ICY"?
>
> What is the methodology?

Looking at the data with Wireshark.
This is a priceless tool if you are doing any sort of network analysis
or programming.

That and reading the relevant RFCs which are the definitive specs.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: r_z_aret on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 14:58:19 -0700, "nki00" <lukkycharm1(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>I've been toying with a possibility of saving an Internet podcast type
>stream as a sound file. I know that the established way is to play it with
>your media player and capture the sound off the speakers,
>write an app to bypass it and do it directly.

Several existing apps record directly:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7-10031813-49.html
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-capture-save-record-or-download-streaming-audio-for-free/
http://radio.about.com/od/recordstreamingaudio/a/blrecordinghub.htm

Robert E. Zaret, MVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):
From: nki00 on
> Looking at the data with Wireshark.
> This is a priceless tool if you are doing any sort of network analysis or
> programming.
>
> That and reading the relevant RFCs which are the definitive specs.

I tried it out and honestly had a hard time figuring that Wireshark out....

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Control transparency
Next: Same RGB different color