From: nki00 on
I've been toying with a possibility of saving an Internet podcast type
stream as a sound file. I know that the established way is to play it with
your media player and capture the sound off the speakers, but I want to
write an app to bypass it and do it directly. What would be the means to do
it? I'd appreciate if someone could clue me in the right direction.

As an example here's a link that plays such a podcast (has to be opened in
Media Player):

http://134.121.174.244:8000

From: Arny on

On 23.05.2010 23:58, nki00 wrote:
> I've been toying with a possibility of saving an Internet podcast type
> stream as a sound file. I know that the established way is to play it with
> your media player and capture the sound off the speakers, but I want to
> write an app to bypass it and do it directly. What would be the means to do
> it? I'd appreciate if someone could clue me in the right direction.
>
> As an example here's a link that plays such a podcast (has to be opened in
> Media Player):
>
> http://134.121.174.244:8000

It's quite an amount of work to code this yourself. It involves sockets,
file I/O, codecs etc.

The "established" way is to use VLC. http://www.videolan.org/
VLC provides ways to save any stream to a file, and re-encode the stream
to wanted format in realtime.

- RaZ

From: nki00 on
Thanks, RaZ.

> It's quite an amount of work to code this yourself. It involves sockets,
> file I/O, codecs etc.

That is exactly what I want to do. But I need more info on the "sockets, and
file I/O" part. So, to recap:

1. I use the URL to connect to a web server via a win socket. What is the
exact protocol of data exchange here?

2. How do I interpret the data received?

Once it's in my possession, I know more about what to do with it.

Thanks in advance.

From: Dee Earley on
On 24/05/2010 20:08, nki00 wrote:
> Thanks, RaZ.
>

>> It's quite an amount of work to code this yourself. It involves sockets,
>> file I/O, codecs etc.
>>

> That is exactly what I want to do. But I need more info on the "sockets, and
> file I/O" part. So, to recap:
>
> 1. I use the URL to connect to a web server via a win socket. What is the
> exact protocol of data exchange here?

MP3 stream over HTTP/ICY.

> 2. How do I interpret the data received?

As MP3 data and either save to disc or decode and play.

Obviously, that applies to that one server (and most other shoutcast
servers), but other services and streaming formats may well be
different, e.g. WM, Quicktime, MP3, FLV (flash) over HTTP, RTSP, among
many others.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: nki00 on
>> 1. I use the URL to connect to a web server via a win socket. What is the
>> exact protocol of data exchange here?
>
> MP3 stream over HTTP/ICY.

You see, my question is -- how do you know that the stream I gave above is
"MP3 stream over HTTP/ICY"?

What is the methodology?

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2