From: Andy O'Neill on

"Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_pltse(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> We are looking into an option of displaying report online.
>> What technology or tools to be an option?
>>
>> - Our backend database will be MySQL.
>> - I think we will use C#.
>> - Need to be able to be converted to PDF file for download as a choice by
>> user
>> - Is Crystal Report the best option?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> iTextSharp could be a free alternative for PDF generation.
>

> As I am pretty new to ASP.NET but will be doing some web reports that spin
> off from our desktop application, not written in .NET but Delphi Win 32.
> What I am looking for will be the popular, main stream, broad support such
> as forum...etc.
> Of course not too expensive, if open source then will be excellent.

Well Crystal is free and lots of people use it because it's in the box with
..net.
Been around for years so lots of devs have used it.
Extremely powerful and easy to substitute various data sources.

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Mar 9, 10:23 am, "Andy O'Neill" <aon14nocannedm...(a)lycos.co.uk>
wrote:
> "Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_pl...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> >> We are looking into an option of displaying report online.
> >> What technology or tools to be an option?
>
> >> - Our backend database will be MySQL.
> >> - I think we will use C#.
> >> - Need to be able to be converted to PDF file for download as a choice by
> >> user
> >> - Is Crystal Report the best option?
>
> >> Thanks
>
> > iTextSharp could be a free alternative for PDF generation.
>
> > As I am pretty new to ASP.NET but will be doing some web reports that spin
> > off from our desktop application, not written in .NET but Delphi Win 32..
> > What I am looking for will be the popular, main stream, broad support such
> > as forum...etc.
> > Of course not too expensive, if open source then will be excellent.
>
> Well Crystal is free and lots of people use it because it's in the box with
> .net.
> Been around for years so lots of devs have used it.
> Extremely powerful and easy to substitute various data sources.

Well, it's not "free". It's licensed to VS.NET developer. While there
is no limit to distribute an application internally within the
organization, it might need a written authorization from SAP
BusinessObjects when you want to deploy a server application to third
parties.

http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/sme/reporting-dashboarding/reporting/visualstudio/licensing/index.epx
http://www.businessobjects.com/pdf/products/reporting/crystalreports/crystal_reports_for_vs_net.pdf
From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Mar 9, 12:26 am, "Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_pl...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > We are looking into an option of displaying report online.
> > What technology or tools to be an option?
>
> > - Our backend database will be MySQL.
> > - I think we will use C#.
> > - Need to be able to be converted to PDF file for download as a choice by
> > user
> > - Is Crystal Report the best option?
>
> > Thanks
>
> iTextSharp could be a free alternative for PDF generation.
>
> As I am pretty new to ASP.NET but will be doing some web reports that spin
> off from our desktop application, not written in .NET but Delphi Win 32.
> What I am looking for will be the popular, main stream, broad support such
> as forum...etc.
> Of course not too expensive, if open source then will be excellent.

It really depends on what do you mean by "report". If it's a simple
request to the database with a table as a result, then you can do this
without Crystal Reports or any other extra tools. A web version can be
done by ASP.NET. An export to PDF could be done by Siberix or
iTextSharp. If you need a multipage reports with diagrams and filters,
go for Crystal or similar tools
From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Mar 9, 11:07 am, Alexey Smirnov <alexey.smir...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 12:26 am, "Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_pl...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

> > > We are looking into an option of displaying report online.
> > > What technology or tools to be an option?
>
> > > - Our backend database will be MySQL.
> > > - I think we will use C#.
> > > - Need to be able to be converted to PDF file for download as a choice by
> > > user
> > > - Is Crystal Report the best option?
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > iTextSharp could be a free alternative for PDF generation.
>
> > As I am pretty new to ASP.NET but will be doing some web reports that spin
> > off from our desktop application, not written in .NET but Delphi Win 32..
> > What I am looking for will be the popular, main stream, broad support such
> > as forum...etc.
> > Of course not too expensive, if open source then will be excellent.
>
> It really depends on what do you mean by "report". If it's a simple
> request to the database with a table as a result, then you can do this
> without Crystal Reports or any other extra tools. A web version can be
> done by ASP.NET. An export to PDF could be done by Siberix or
> iTextSharp. If you need a multipage reports with diagrams and filters,
> go for Crystal or similar tools

In addition you should look at Telerik and DevExpress
http://www.telerik.com/products/reporting.aspx?gclid=CKmN5ui1q6ACFRks3godmHT3cQ
http://www.devexpress.com/Products/NET/Reporting/index.xml

More at google
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=reporting+asp.net
From: Alan T on
>It really depends on what do you mean by "report". If it's a simple
>request to the database with a table as a result, then you can do this
>without Crystal Reports or any other extra tools. A web version can be
>done by ASP.NET. An export to PDF could be done by Siberix or
>iTextSharp. If you need a multipage reports with diagrams and filters,
>go for Crystal or similar tools

Our reports will be in mult-pages, eg. some reports may up to 100 pages.
We want the company executes be able to view the report online so we need to
spin off the report module from desktop.
The query of result will need traditional SQL joining several tables by
supplying parameters, such
EmplyeeNo, date, place, ...etc.

Is there Crystal Reports component built-in VS 2008?