From: Alan T on
We are looking into an option of displaying report online.
What technology or tools to be an option?

- Our backend database will be MySQL.
- I think we will use C#.
- Need to be able to be converted to PDF file for download as a choice by
user
- Is Crystal Report the best option?

Thanks

From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_pltse(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> - Is Crystal Report the best option?

Best is entirely subjective and almost impossible to quantify.

How complex are the reports? Do you need drilldown?

Personally, I use Siberix for PDF creation: http://www.siberix.com/

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Andy O'Neill on

"Mark Rae [MVP]" <mark(a)markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote in message
> "Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_pltse(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> - Is Crystal Report the best option?
>
> Best is entirely subjective and almost impossible to quantify.
>
> How complex are the reports? Do you need drilldown?
>
> Personally, I use Siberix for PDF creation: http://www.siberix.com/
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net
I'm impressed how inexpensive that siberix is.

Another alternative is sql server express reporting services.
Crystal is extremely powerful BUT can be quite tricky to work with and
fiddly.
One fiddly area can be defining where you get the data and formatting it
suitably.

If you go Crystal my recommendation would be to build a temporary table the
same "shape" as your data must be.
Design against that.
In code, extract the data yourself.
Do any complex stuff there.
Then switch the datasource to your datatable or typed list.

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Mar 8, 1:10 am, "Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_pl...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> We are looking into an option of displaying report online.
> What technology or tools to be an option?
>
> - Our backend database will be MySQL.
> - I think we will use C#.
> - Need to be able to be converted to PDF file for download as a choice by
> user
> - Is Crystal Report the best option?
>
> Thanks

iTextSharp could be a free alternative for PDF generation.
From: Alan T on
> We are looking into an option of displaying report online.
> What technology or tools to be an option?
>
> - Our backend database will be MySQL.
> - I think we will use C#.
> - Need to be able to be converted to PDF file for download as a choice by
> user
> - Is Crystal Report the best option?
>
> Thanks

iTextSharp could be a free alternative for PDF generation.

As I am pretty new to ASP.NET but will be doing some web reports that spin
off from our desktop application, not written in .NET but Delphi Win 32.
What I am looking for will be the popular, main stream, broad support such
as forum...etc.
Of course not too expensive, if open source then will be excellent.