From: XR8 Sprintless on
I have a customer who I built an I7 - 920 system for which is giving
problems but only at his residence and does not fail in my workshop.

The system is running an Intel BLKDX58S0 motherboard with 6gb Ram and a
Radeon 4850 Video Card. It is powered with a Gigabyte 550W Power Supply.
It has two Hard Drives in Raid and two DVD Drives.

Basically the machine simply will not even turn on at his house whilst
it will turn on in the workshop without an issue. In fact I have turned
it off and on over 30 times today and it has not failed once.

At his residence the machine will not turn on at all even with nothing
connected. I have checked his power supply which is running at 246V AC
whereas mine runs at 234V. The wiring is correct.

I have swapped power supplies in an effort to resolve this issue but
that did not make any difference, the machine still would not turn on at
all.

Anyone have any sensible suggestions as to what else I could check?

From: atec 77 "atec on
XR8 Sprintless wrote:
> I have a customer who I built an I7 - 920 system for which is giving
> problems but only at his residence and does not fail in my workshop.
>
> The system is running an Intel BLKDX58S0 motherboard with 6gb Ram and a
> Radeon 4850 Video Card. It is powered with a Gigabyte 550W Power Supply.
> It has two Hard Drives in Raid and two DVD Drives.
>
> Basically the machine simply will not even turn on at his house whilst
> it will turn on in the workshop without an issue. In fact I have turned
> it off and on over 30 times today and it has not failed once.
>
> At his residence the machine will not turn on at all even with nothing
> connected. I have checked his power supply which is running at 246V AC
> whereas mine runs at 234V. The wiring is correct.
>
> I have swapped power supplies in an effort to resolve this issue but
> that did not make any difference, the machine still would not turn on at
> all.
>
> Anyone have any sensible suggestions as to what else I could check?

Use a cheap ups to regulate the voltage , it's way to high and your
getting effects from the switch mode having a pup
From: Rod Speed on
XR8 Sprintless wrote:

> I have a customer who I built an I7 - 920 system for which is giving
> problems but only at his residence and does not fail in my workshop.

> The system is running an Intel BLKDX58S0 motherboard with 6gb Ram and a Radeon 4850 Video Card. It is powered with a
> Gigabyte 550W Power Supply. It has two Hard Drives in Raid and two DVD Drives.

> Basically the machine simply will not even turn on at his house whilst it will turn on in the workshop without an
> issue. In fact I have
> turned it off and on over 30 times today and it has not failed once.

> At his residence the machine will not turn on at all even with nothing
> connected. I have checked his power supply which is running at 246V AC whereas mine runs at 234V. The wiring is
> correct.

> I have swapped power supplies in an effort to resolve this issue but that did not make any difference, the machine
> still would not turn on at all.

> Anyone have any sensible suggestions as to what else I could check?

Most likely you didnt check the wiring properly.

Did you actually measure what happens inside the power supply when its turned on ?

Bet you will find that it shuts down because it decides that there is a short on the power supply.

Did you try it on more than one power point at his house ?

From: idgat on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:27:47 +1000, XR8 Sprintless
<xr8_sprint(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a customer who I built an I7 - 920 system for which is giving
>problems but only at his residence and does not fail in my workshop.
>
>The system is running an Intel BLKDX58S0 motherboard with 6gb Ram and a
>Radeon 4850 Video Card. It is powered with a Gigabyte 550W Power Supply.
>It has two Hard Drives in Raid and two DVD Drives.
>
>Basically the machine simply will not even turn on at his house whilst
>it will turn on in the workshop without an issue. In fact I have turned
>it off and on over 30 times today and it has not failed once.
>
>At his residence the machine will not turn on at all even with nothing
>connected. I have checked his power supply which is running at 246V AC
>whereas mine runs at 234V. The wiring is correct.
>
>I have swapped power supplies in an effort to resolve this issue but
>that did not make any difference, the machine still would not turn on at
>all.
>
>Anyone have any sensible suggestions as to what else I could check?

Same power cord both locations?

Same result at different power points throughout customer's residence?
--
idgat
Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.
From: Doug Jewell on
XR8 Sprintless wrote:
> I have a customer who I built an I7 - 920 system for which is giving
> problems but only at his residence and does not fail in my workshop.
>
> The system is running an Intel BLKDX58S0 motherboard with 6gb Ram and a
> Radeon 4850 Video Card. It is powered with a Gigabyte 550W Power Supply.
> It has two Hard Drives in Raid and two DVD Drives.
>
> Basically the machine simply will not even turn on at his house whilst
> it will turn on in the workshop without an issue. In fact I have turned
> it off and on over 30 times today and it has not failed once.
>
> At his residence the machine will not turn on at all even with nothing
> connected. I have checked his power supply which is running at 246V AC
> whereas mine runs at 234V. The wiring is correct.
>
> I have swapped power supplies in an effort to resolve this issue but
> that did not make any difference, the machine still would not turn on at
> all.
>
> Anyone have any sensible suggestions as to what else I could check?

246V shouldn't cause an issue - it is only 2.5% above 240V
and a tolerance of +/-10% is acceptible on the mains. But
if the PSU is designed for 220V as many are, it will be
seeing a 12% over-voltage, which may be enough to shut it
down. Have you tried swapping the PSU for a completely
different brand? This would be what I consider the most
likely issue.

Another strong possibility is noisy power. You may be
measuring 246V, but if there is a lot of noise on the line
it may well be spiking several hundred volts higher, which
would be sufficient to throw a PSU into error. Try a good
quality power filter (not just a surge protector).

Other possible causes (admittedly many of them clutching at
straws, but they do happen):

Check that active & neutral are wired the correct way.
Easiest way is to measure voltage to ground. N-E should be
0V, A-E should be full 240V. (some meters may throw the
earth-leakage switch, so be careful). If looking at a wall
socket, Active is the left-hand hole.

I assume when you measured the voltage you measured it at
the point. Try measuring it at the end of the cord. I've
seen faulty power cords before - did you use a different
cord or the same cord when you tried at your place?
Alternatively, perhaps it is a faulty power point / power
board that isn't making good contact with the plug on the cord?

You say you have tested with nothing connected - did you
start with the computer, plug it into the wall then try
starting it? or did you start with peripherals plugged in
then one-by-one unplugging them? I've seen peripherals throw
an error state that will stop the PSU starting, and it then
needs to be disconnected from power for a while before it
will start back.

Good luck, and when you do solve it, please report back what
you found.

--
What is the difference between a duck?
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Copyright
Next: Something to consider for Win 7 users.