From: rahejasuresh on
My 250 gb drive has died. Windows no longer sees it at all. During
boot I hear 3 repeating beeps (long-short-long), prior to boot. It
delays boot process by about a minute. Smart has been enabled now, but
it finds nothing. Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows
the drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".

Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
Western digital website does not even list it.

Any ideas?

thanks

Suresh
From: Rod Speed on
rahejasuresh(a)gmail.com wrote:

> My 250 gb drive has died.

You into necrophilia ?

> Windows no longer sees it at all.

Not even in disk management ?

> During boot I hear 3 repeating beeps (long-short-long), prior to boot.
> It delays boot process by about a minute.

> Smart has been enabled now, but it finds nothing.

It wont necessarily say anything depending on the SMART data the drive returns.

> Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows the
> drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
> identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".

Thats not unusual when the drive cant even get the microcode started properly.

> Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
> Western digital website does not even list it.

> Any ideas?

She's dead, Jim.

See what the WD diagnostics think of the drive and claim under warranty if its still in warranty.

From: Rod Speed on
Suresh <rahejasuresh(a)gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> rahejasuresh(a)gmail.com wrote

>>> Windows no longer sees it at all.

>> Not even in disk management ?

> Not in Disk Management, and not even in Device Manager.

>>> Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows the
>>> drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
>>> identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".

>> Thats not unusual when the drive cant even get the microcode started properly.

> Which would indicate that it's an electronic problem or a mechanical problem?

Can be either. Some drives keep at least some of the microcode
on the platter and so if a mechanical problem prevents access to
the data on the platters, it cant load all the microcode anymore.

>>> Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
>>> Western digital website does not even list it.

>>> Any ideas?

>> She's dead, Jim.

>> See what the WD diagnostics think of the drive and claim under warranty if its still in warranty.

> Don't know if it's still under warranty. Would have to look for the
> receipt. Should I try calling Western Digital anyway?

Yes, they should be able to tell you if its still under warranty. It may or may not be at that size.

From: Squeeze on
Rod Speed wrote in news:6gpn5sFh5hkhU1(a)mid.individual.net
> rahejasuresh(a)gmail.com wrote:
>
> > My 250 gb drive has died.
>
> You into necrophilia ?
>
> > Windows no longer sees it at all.
>
> Not even in disk management ?
>
> > During boot I hear 3 repeating beeps (long-short-long), prior to boot.
> > It delays boot process by about a minute.
>
> > Smart has been enabled now, but it finds nothing.

> It wont necessarily say anything depending on the SMART data the drive returns.

It doesn't say anything because it is dead, Jimmy.
You should try and read your own text sometimes.