From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
tuti plain wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a Ruby GUI freak. Every once in a while, I'll google something
> like "ruby gui api". So far, though, I have only worked with FXRuby
> because of its, IMO, excellent book, which I bought in Amazon.

Books are overrated in a space as fast-moving as the Ruby world. Have
you looked at Monkeybars?

> While
> looking into GUIs, I came across LimeLight, an API for JRuby. I tried
> out a few of the examples, and I liked what I saw. But I wonder... why
> is it rarely mentioned in these forums?

It's very new. It certainly looks promising.

> Is it not a regular GUI API?
> Though I have not delved into the API itself, it seems to have a
> different concept about GUI programming (like, setting up "stages" or
> something). Is there a reason for this,

Probably that the developers thought it would be clearer...

> or is it not that well known?
> I'm just curious, more than anything.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

From: Roger Pack on
> looking into GUIs, I came across LimeLight, an API for JRuby. I tried
> out a few of the examples, and I liked what I saw. But I wonder... why
> is it rarely mentioned in these forums? Is it not a regular GUI API?

Quite new, and so hasn't had time to build a community. To get any
library to become "popular" takes awhile and a lot of work and
publicity, typically.

-r

From: James Britt on
Roger Pack wrote:
>> looking into GUIs, I came across LimeLight, an API for JRuby. I tried
>> out a few of the examples, and I liked what I saw. But I wonder... why
>> is it rarely mentioned in these forums? Is it not a regular GUI API?
>
> Quite new, and so hasn't had time to build a community. To get any
> library to become "popular" takes awhile and a lot of work and
> publicity, typically.

It's also fairly limited, offering (last time I checked) the equivalent
of HTML 3.2 for desktop apps.

--
James Britt

www.neurogami.com - Smart application development

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
James Britt wrote:
> Roger Pack wrote:
>>> looking into GUIs, I came across LimeLight, an API for JRuby. I tried
>>> out a few of the examples, and I liked what I saw. But I wonder... why
>>> is it rarely mentioned in these forums? Is it not a regular GUI API?
>>
>> Quite new, and so hasn't had time to build a community. To get any
>> library to become "popular" takes awhile and a lot of work and
>> publicity, typically.
>
> It's also fairly limited, offering (last time I checked) the equivalent
> of HTML 3.2 for desktop apps.

Uh, what? I don't think Limelight uses HTML.

> --
> James Britt

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

From: James Britt on
Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> James Britt wrote:
>>> Quite new, and so hasn't had time to build a community. To get any
>>> library to become "popular" takes awhile and a lot of work and
>>> publicity, typically.
>> It's also fairly limited, offering (last time I checked) the equivalent
>> of HTML 3.2 for desktop apps.
>
> Uh, what? I don't think Limelight uses HTML.

Correct. That's why I said "equivalent of HTML 3.2 for desktop apps"

You're limited to some small set of widgets and input fields, much like
HTML 3.2.

No calendar controls, no sortable tables, etc.

(Again, if I'm wrong about this, please correct me.)