From: eggedd2k on
We're running SBS 2008 64-bit on our Domain Controller and Server 2008
32-bit on Member Server.

I've now got confirmation from most of our software suppliers that
their software is 64-bit compatible. This means that I can now
consider installing Server 2008 64-bit on our member server and make
use of the extra RAM capabilities. This is the main reason for
upgrading to 64-bit.

I have the 64-bit versions of Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 which
came as part of the SBS 2008 Premium package we purchased.

I'm looking for some advice on what the actual options are for getting
server 2008 64-bit installed. Along with SQL Server 2008 64-bit.

Additionally I want to make sure that once the 64-bit versions of the
above packages are installed that they will BOTH take advantage of the
extra RAM I plan to install. SQL server uses up the most RAM currently
and this will deffinitely need to "see" the extra RAM.

Our member server currently runs all of our main line of business
packages (mainly through SQL server). There is also a great deal of
data stored on the server.

Can you give me any advice on the best way to approach this?

From: Steve Foster on
eggedd2k wrote:

> We're running SBS 2008 64-bit on our Domain Controller and Server 2008
> 32-bit on Member Server.
>
> I've now got confirmation from most of our software suppliers that
> their software is 64-bit compatible. This means that I can now
> consider installing Server 2008 64-bit on our member server and make
> use of the extra RAM capabilities. This is the main reason for
> upgrading to 64-bit.
>
> I have the 64-bit versions of Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 which
> came as part of the SBS 2008 Premium package we purchased.
>
> I'm looking for some advice on what the actual options are for getting
> server 2008 64-bit installed. Along with SQL Server 2008 64-bit.
>
> Additionally I want to make sure that once the 64-bit versions of the
> above packages are installed that they will BOTH take advantage of the
> extra RAM I plan to install. SQL server uses up the most RAM currently
> and this will deffinitely need to "see" the extra RAM.
>
> Our member server currently runs all of our main line of business
> packages (mainly through SQL server). There is also a great deal of
> data stored on the server.
>
> Can you give me any advice on the best way to approach this?

You must back up all your data, flatten the box and install all over
again, but this time using x63 versions. Then restore the data.

There is no way to get from 32-bit to 64-bit (in a MS environment)
other than wipe & [re]load.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
As Steve said, you must remove the 32 bit version of Server on the member
server and reload. First, verify that the server is up to snuff with hardware
standards. We have seen others caught in the trap of the 2003 era server
not supporting either 64 bit OS or enough RAM.

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com