From: Joseph Ashwood on
"cplxphil" <cplxphil(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> I recently became interested in trying, in my spare time, to develop a
> cryptosystem. I have some math/CS training, and a degree in
> mathematics. What do I need to know to design a cryptosystem? What
> steps are involved? I would assume designing the protocol and then
> modifying it based on how easy it is to attack would be some of the
> steps.
>
> Is there a book that details what I need to know/do?

First recommendation: ignore anything coming from adacrypt.

There is actually a lot of information to learn. You can find some basics,
but the biggest thing that determines the ability to create a secure
protocol is experience. In order to create a secure protocol you need
experience breaking them. I'd start with understanding where SSL 1 and 2
were weak. But I will warn you, in order to become genuinely good at
designing secure protocols takes several years of work. There are many tiny
subtle aspects and things that don't seem to matter can in fact make or
break security.
Joe

From: adacrypt on
On Mar 13, 4:07 am, cplxphil <cplxp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently became interested in trying, in my spare time, to develop a
> cryptosystem.  I have some math/CS training, and a degree in
> mathematics.  What do I need to know to design a cryptosystem?  What
> steps are involved?  I would assume designing the protocol and then
> modifying it based on how easy it is to attack would be some of the
> steps.
>
> Is there a book that details what I need to know/do?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Hi again,

Don't try to formalise your perfectly good instincts to fit outdated
current models - they are going nowhere but let you be the judge - be
guided by your instints now before they become polluted in the future
- a place in the herd is not important.

They even try to Latinise bulldust believing that will add credility
to it - Isn't life grand !
From: adacrypt on
On Mar 13, 4:07 am, cplxphil <cplxp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently became interested in trying, in my spare time, to develop a
> cryptosystem.  I have some math/CS training, and a degree in
> mathematics.  What do I need to know to design a cryptosystem?  What
> steps are involved?  I would assume designing the protocol and then
> modifying it based on how easy it is to attack would be some of the
> steps.
>
> Is there a book that details what I need to know/do?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Once more,

Forgot to tell you, Joe thinks he can 'diagonalise' a vector that
represents velocity or acceleration (and then everything is just the
same he says) - bet you didn't know that ! - adacrypt
From: Earl_Colby_Pottinger on
Do a google search on adacrypt.

Read a dozen or more of his posts at random (it really does not matter
which ones).

Note the number of basic mistakes you can spot, also notice you don't
need to know anything about encryption - he makes mistakes at high
level math.

Notice the lack of working code.

Notice his constant push to get you to go to his and only his web
site.

Notice the total lack of outside references. Or third party tests of
his methods/claims.

Notice the constant attempts to redefine basic terms to make his
systems sound like something they are not.

Think carefully on what you observe, then ask "Do I want to follow the
advice of someone like this?".
From: adacrypt on
On Mar 13, 4:07 am, cplxphil <cplxp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently became interested in trying, in my spare time, to develop a
> cryptosystem.  I have some math/CS training, and a degree in
> mathematics.  What do I need to know to design a cryptosystem?  What
> steps are involved?  I would assume designing the protocol and then
> modifying it based on how easy it is to attack would be some of the
> steps.
>
> Is there a book that details what I need to know/do?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

I sometimes think that cryptography should be downgraded to ‘activity’
instead of science since it works best by means of rogue mathematics
and perverted methodology that flies in the face of everything that
honest mathematics stands. Trying to dignify it by demonstrating that
there is a syntactic logic to cryptography is as futile as entering
some lovable mongrel in a dog show. If you accept that, then it can
become a very intellectually challenging pursuit (there I go again
trying to find respectable words to use on this nefarious mongrel).

The trick is to find one-way functions that are selectively reversible
by the entities of a secure loop but totally impossible to all
others. This one-way (ness) of such functions can be mathematically
driven although the pundits claim that one-way functions just don’t
exist in mathematics, or else they can be ‘wrought’ by such things as
randomness.

An example of a mathematical one-way function is a change-of-origin to
a frame of reference, in that case the one-way function is infinite in
scope, while the only known alternative i.e. randomness works by
giving such a sufficiency of equally probable options that it causes
massive uncertainty to an illegal cipher-cracker about which one to
choose. Randomness is what a court of law might call a ‘constructive’
one-way function when compared with the vastly greater absolute
mathematical one-way function but enough is sufficient and randomness
is very nice when you have it as the only alternative to the ideally
mathematical one-way function.

The skill of the design cryptographer is in finding these one-way
functions. It is very challenging and is best done by accident. You
carry around the makings of a one-way function in the back of your
mind and pounce on it when your mathematical intuition whistle blows
as you’re doing something else. You never set out deliberately to find
one –it just doesn’t work that way.

I take this liberty of expounding because you are a qualified
mathematician and will easily understand – I hope you join our ranks -
can’t see anyone else rushing up to slap their crypto souls on the
table today by way of help.

The great thing about this news group is the vicious criticism that
keeps you on your toes – they just love to hate – they are no slouches
themselves either as cryptographers go – Good Luck - adacrypt