From: cplxphil on

Hi all,

I recently became interested in trying, in my spare time, to develop a
cryptosystem. I have some math/CS training, and a degree in
mathematics. What do I need to know to design a cryptosystem? What
steps are involved? I would assume designing the protocol and then
modifying it based on how easy it is to attack would be some of the
steps.

Is there a book that details what I need to know/do?

Thanks,
Phil
From: J.D. on
On Mar 12, 11:07 pm, cplxphil <cplxp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently became interested in trying, in my spare time, to develop a
> cryptosystem.  I have some math/CS training, and a degree in
> mathematics.  What do I need to know to design a cryptosystem?  What
> steps are involved?  I would assume designing the protocol and then
> modifying it based on how easy it is to attack would be some of the
> steps.
>
> Is there a book that details what I need to know/do?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

This advice is a little dated now, but most of it still seems valid:
http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-9810.html#cipherdesign

If there was one thing that would best prepare you for designing a
cipher that is worth a damn, it would probably be getting good at
breaking ciphers. Which doesn't just mean reading about how other
people have broken ciphers -- it means figuring out on your own how to
break ciphers without 'looking at the answers' (so to speak). Once
you have developed that skill, only then can you approach your own
designs from the perspective of a competent attacker, and thus see
flaws and weaknesses and the best ways to correct them. One place to
start learning how to break ciphers is here: http://www.schneier.com/paper-self-study.html
From: David Eather on
On 13/03/2010 2:07 PM, cplxphil wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently became interested in trying, in my spare time, to develop a
> cryptosystem. I have some math/CS training, and a degree in
> mathematics. What do I need to know to design a cryptosystem? What
> steps are involved? I would assume designing the protocol and then
> modifying it based on how easy it is to attack would be some of the
> steps.
>
> Is there a book that details what I need to know/do?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

You could also try "modern cryptanlysis" by C Swenson. It is not
complete but will give you some ideas on what to avoid. The book could
also do with a good copy editor - but that's a different problem.
From: adacrypt on
On Mar 13, 5:25 am, David Eather <eat...(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:
> On 13/03/2010 2:07 PM, cplxphil wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > I recently became interested in trying, in my spare time, to develop a
> > cryptosystem.  I have some math/CS training, and a degree in
> > mathematics.  What do I need to know to design a cryptosystem?  What
> > steps are involved?  I would assume designing the protocol and then
> > modifying it based on how easy it is to attack would be some of the
> > steps.
>
> > Is there a book that details what I need to know/do?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Phil
>
> You could also try "modern cryptanlysis" by C Swenson. It is not
> complete but will give you some ideas on what to avoid. The book could
> also do with a good copy editor - but that's a different problem.

Hi, my advice is to stay well clear of all existing books. All of
these are complexity-theoretic and are very heavy going and eventually
take you nowhere. I am an engineer with a great application to
mathematics - I suggest reading "The Code Book" by Simon Singh so as
to get a feel for what you need and then simply carry on with your
normal work and your mathematical intuition alone will alert to some
pieces of mathematics that will suggest an algorithm for you to
experiment with. Warning - the current state of the crypto scene is a
disaster area in my view - it became number theoretic in or about
1960's but went down the wrong road completely and will now have to
change - don't waste your time following it but try and understand the
reasons why it has failed.

I have two websites that will give you an idea of how I taught myself
cryptography - http://www.adacrypt.com expounds on Vector
Cryptpography and http://www.scalarcryptography uses modular
arithmetic - these take a fresh radical approach to cryptography -
they have up and running ciphers as claims to unbreakable systems with
mathematical proof.- at the moment you are fortunate to be
uncontaminated by the status quo which is headed for eventual crashing
- take a fresh lead and do it your way - you'll soon see what I mean.

Try - "A fresh Approach to Cryptography" on my website http://www.adacrypt.com
just to see what I mean about going down the wrong road - welcome to
crypto land and good luck with your research - my cryptography is
attracting a lot of interest from experienced people which suggest it
might be good for you also - Cheers - adacrypt
From: adacrypt on

Correction: the second link should read - http://www.scalarcryptography.co.uk