From: MZB on
I have a desktop in the basement and a wireless upstairs, with a wireless
card installed.
I have the linksys router installed downstairs and I have taken steps to
make sure it is a secure network.

All runs fine, but I have a question.

In the lower right corner of my screen (systray or taskbar, can't remember
the correct term) I have 2 symbols.

One consists of about 5 little bars, some green and some yellow. When I pass
the mouse pointer over it, it indicates all sorts of information, including:

There is also a little monitor picture next to it. The status sometimes says
"Acquiring Network Address" and it stays like this. Does this mean it is
picking some other wireless signal (I assume some other secure signal since
it keeps saying acquiring network address). At other times, it might have a
little X on it.
Regardless, it doesn't seem to impact the connection to my router. All works
fine.

Just curious.

Mel

From: RRR_News on
It sounds that your laptop, is not seeing the router signal. If on the router:
1. If you enabled WEP or any other encryption on the router, you will need to transfer those settings to the properties tab, for the wireless card. I would first disable this, and make sure that your wireless network is up and running. Then enable it later.
2. You need to make sure router and wireless card, uses the same "SSID" name. Don't use the default ones that came with the router and card. I believe the default name for the linksys router is "linksys", where the card may be "default". Use some unique name. And set the wireless card to only connect to the router's SSID name.
3. Have you tried placing the wireless PC, near the router, to see if you are getting this problem? If it works when they are close, then you may need to move the router, it may be the structure of the house preventing the signal transmission.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

From: MZB on
I think you are missing what I'm saying.

All is working fine. I seem to be picking up MY signal from the router and
I'm communicating just fine.

For example, right now the 5 vertcal bars are green. When I click on it and
choose View Wireless Networks, it shows mine by name (also indicates it is a
secured network). In the upper right corner, it says DISCONNECTED. But when
I further click on it, it also says I am connected to the network and it
gives me the option to disconnect.

Basically, it's picking up the signal just fine. I don't understand the
DISCONNECTED statement

Your first 2 items below have been done and no need for the third since I am
connected!.

Mel

"RRR_News" <RRR_News(a)isp.com> wrote in message
[...]

Pages: 1
Prev: Node type Unknown
Next: Internal Error 413