From: Lew on
I noticed the other day that ipconfig /all shows "unknown" as the node type
for my XPpro sp2 box. I found a KB artilce, 310570, that says "This issue
can occur if the EnableProxy key in the registry is set to an invalid value,"
and says to change the value of the EnableProxy key in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\
"to 0 or 1."

I don't have that key. I could, of course, create it and set it to 0 or 1
(seems a bit vague), but more importantly, do I need to care that about node
type? This apparently has something to do with WINS proxy servers (which I
don't use) and Netbt parameters (which I don't think I use). Should I hunt
down all the TCP/IP properties pages and turn off NetBIOS for TCP/IP wherever
I find it? Or should I just do what often seems to be the best approach --
if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Things seem to be working OK as is.