From: jonphred on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 00:36:25 +0100, R. Mark Clayton
<nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

> "Jason H" <nospam(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
<snip>
>> And on the new tariffs you can't use 4 texts to pay for a picture
>> message
>> or a roaming SMS, which would have been really handy
>
> Not a problem if they are unlimited though.
> <snip>

Eh? If one sends an SMS while roaming it now gets charged whereas I was
used to getting 4 texts deducted from my text bundle (whether a stated
limit or "unlimited").

Sending a "picture message" in the UK cost 4 texts from one's bundle.

Sending a picture message when roaming meant that 16 texts were deducted
from the bundle (I never actually did this but CS confirmed that was the
charging mechanism).

You can see that the reason it *can* now regarded as a problem is that
what used to simply come out of one's text bundle when roaming is now
(reportedly - I'm no longer with O2) actually charged on the bill - as are
picture messages.

--
JonPhred
From: Steve Terry on
"Jason H" <nospam(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> O2 are the biggest network in Britain but I have never really used them
> until I got my O2 world cup promotional SIM a while back to see what the
> fuss was about before getting a contract.
> Whilst I am very impressed with 2G coverage (best of all the networks
> around most of the West Midlands I'd say), I have hesitations about
> getting a contract with them:
>
> The contracts seem much more expensive than competitors (except the
> Simplicity SIM only which are very good value)
> No conference calling unless you get an iPhone tariff or iPhone SIM only
> tariff
> No text delivery reports
> No call barring or automatic clock setting (OK - not that important!)
> No facility to get a PDF bill which would make expense claims much easier
> And most annoyingly - texts not delivered because the phone is switched
> off / out of coverage take AGES to come through - even when re-registering
> on the network.
> And on the new tariffs you can't use 4 texts to pay for a picture message
> or a roaming SMS, which would have been really handy
>
> Why are all these people using them? Am I missing something here? Hmm...

I haven't any time of O2 but they seem to be letting their Virtuals offer
some very good PAYG deals:

Tesco Mobile with triple top up is good for the heavy PAYG user

Lycamobile plus with currently 1p per min to landlines, etc.

GiffGaff with free 0800 and calls at 8p per min, text 4p, etc.

*0# at the beginning of a text will give you a delivery report

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: R. Mark Clayton on

"jonphred" <junkman(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 00:36:25 +0100, R. Mark Clayton
> <nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>

>> "Jason H" <nospam(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> <snip>
>>> And on the new tariffs you can't use 4 texts to pay for a picture
>>> message
>>> or a roaming SMS, which would have been really handy
>>
>> Not a problem if they are unlimited though.
>> <snip>
>
> Eh? If one sends an SMS while roaming it now gets charged whereas I was
> used to getting 4 texts deducted from my text bundle (whether a stated
> limit or "unlimited").
>
> Sending a "picture message" in the UK cost 4 texts from one's bundle.
>
> Sending a picture message when roaming meant that 16 texts were deducted
> from the bundle (I never actually did this but CS confirmed that was the
> charging mechanism).

Looks like another of their 'gotcha' T&C changes.

O2 are doing away with niggles
http://o2nobblingniggles.co.uk/
- consider the "crafty cost nark" in relation to the above or taking 08xx
calls out of the bundle.
perhaps more blatantly Sean Bean's voiceover of O2's unlimited broadband TV
ad' JUST as they introduced limits for new mobile broadband customers.

Oh to renege now the deal is done!

From: CJB on
On Aug 2, 12:44 pm, "R. Mark Clayton" <nospamclay...(a)btinternet.com>
wrote:
> "jonphred" <junk...(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote in message

> > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 00:36:25 +0100, R. Mark Clayton
> > <nospamclay...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >> "Jason H" <nos...(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> > <snip>
>
> >> Not a problem if they are unlimited though.
> >> <snip>
>
> > Eh? If one sends an SMS while roaming it now gets charged whereas I was
> > used to getting 4 texts deducted from my text bundle (whether a stated
> > limit or "unlimited").
>
> > Sending a "picture message" in the UK cost 4 texts from one's bundle.
>
> > Sending a picture message when roaming meant that 16 texts were deducted
> > from the bundle (I never actually did this but CS confirmed that was the
> > charging mechanism).
>
> Looks like another of their 'gotcha' T&C changes.
>
> O2 are doing away with niggleshttp://o2nobblingniggles.co.uk/
> - consider the "crafty cost nark" in relation to the above or taking 08xx
> calls out of the bundle.
> perhaps more blatantly Sean Bean's voiceover of O2's unlimited broadband TV
> ad' JUST as they introduced limits for new mobile broadband customers.
>
> Oh to renege now the deal is done!
>

> > You can see that the reason it *can* now regarded as a problem is that
> > what used to simply come out of one's text bundle when roaming is now
> > (reportedly - I'm no longer with O2) actually charged on the bill - as are
> > picture messages.
>
> > --
> > JonPhred

Giffgaff runs on O2 - after every call or text a credit balance is
sent for free. Never seem to have drop outs or lost calls. The only
big issue is the charging at 8p a minute for retrieving voice mails.
0800 nos. are free. Calls and texts to overseas mobiles are reasonable
at 16p and 8p (I think) resp. Roaming texts aren't too bad. Roaming
calls are outrageous. CJB.
From: Steve Terry on
wrote:
> "jonphred" <junk...(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 00:36:25 +0100, R. Mark Clayton
> > <nospamclay...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> >> "Jason H" <nos...(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> > <snip>
>Giffgaff runs on O2 - after every call or text a credit balance is
>sent for free.

That gets on my nerves, i know if you ask O2 CS they can switch it off.
No idea if Giffgaff CS would know how to?

> Never seem to have drop outs or lost calls.

I get some dropped calls as O2 signal is weak around here

> The only big issue is the charging at 8p a minute for retrieving voice
> mails.

That's less than most PAYG voicemail

Steve Terry