From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 14:37:21 -0400, <no.top.post(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> So I was waiting for java to stabilise.
>> Of course, we know that Micro$loth made efforts to crush/fork java.
>> Has java got a future?

| Don't know about java itself, but VirtualBox, which had previously
| been purchased by Sun, now has the Oracle brand on it, and has had
| several improvements released, since the purchase. So far, from
| my point of view, it looks ok.

| Regards, Dave Hodgins

OpenOffice was just branded Oracle with v3.2.1

--
Dave

From: Aragorn on
On Monday 05 July 2010 00:29 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody identifying
as David H. Lipman wrote...

> From: "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 14:37:21 -0400, <no.top.post(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> So I was waiting for java to stabilise.
>>> Of course, we know that Micro$loth made efforts to crush/fork java.
>>> Has java got a future?
>
> | Don't know about java itself, but VirtualBox, which had previously
> | been purchased by Sun, now has the Oracle brand on it, and has had
> | several improvements released, since the purchase. So far, from
> | my point of view, it looks ok.
>
> | Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> OpenOffice was just branded Oracle with v3.2.1

I have no idea what Solaris reports these days, but Oracle seem very
eager to call it their own as well...

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/index.html

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Aragorn" <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid>

| On Monday 05 July 2010 00:29 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody identifying
| as David H. Lipman wrote...

>> From: "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> | Don't know about java itself, but VirtualBox, which had previously
>> | been purchased by Sun, now has the Oracle brand on it, and has had
>> | several improvements released, since the purchase. So far, from
>> | my point of view, it looks ok.

>> | Regards, Dave Hodgins

>> OpenOffice was just branded Oracle with v3.2.1

| I have no idea what Solaris reports these days, but Oracle seem very
| eager to call it their own as well...

| http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/index.html

I just hope Oracle and get the people at Sun to secure JRE. It is been theo source or
many and infected computer due to its many vulnerabilities and subsequent exploitation.

--
Dave

From: Robert Heller on
At Mon, 05 Jul 2010 00:40:49 +0200 Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:

> On Monday 05 July 2010 00:29 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody identifying
> as David H. Lipman wrote...
>
> > From: "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org>

> > | Don't know about java itself, but VirtualBox, which had previously
> > | been purchased by Sun, now has the Oracle brand on it, and has had
> > | several improvements released, since the purchase. So far, from
> > | my point of view, it looks ok.
> >
> > | Regards, Dave Hodgins
> >
> > OpenOffice was just branded Oracle with v3.2.1
>
> I have no idea what Solaris reports these days, but Oracle seem very
> eager to call it their own as well...
>
> http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/index.html

Sun's main reason for selling / folding was because sales of
SparcServers/SparcStations has been declining -- it is just cheaper to
build a server or workstation using Intel/AMD based commodity systems,
etc. and then installing Linux or FreeBSD, (I guess you could install
Open-Solaris/x86 on a generic Intel or AMD system, but Sun did not make
any money that way). Yes, Sun was making and selling Intel/AMD based
systems, but they weren't as cheap as say Dells or HPs, etc. I expect
that Solaris might be going the way of other 'commercial' UNIX flavors
-- either dieing completely or ending up in a fairly small nitch
market.

OTOH, Oracle might be able to 'revive' Solaris & SparcServer as a high
end system platform for high end database servers running Oracle as the
database system, but this is still probably going to be a nitch market
thing.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller(a)deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

From: blmblm on
In article <i0qvb5$9ni$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
> On Sunday 04 July 2010 20:37 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody identifying
> as no.top.post(a)gmail.com wrote...

[ snip ]

> Java compiles to bytecode, which gets executed in a so-called Java
> Virtual Machine, or as Sun used to call it, a Java Runtime Environment.
> This makes Java extremely portable, but also noticeably slower than
> other languages.

For suitable values of "noticeably slower", maybe ....

As I understand it, most/all current JVMs do "just in time" compilation
to native code, with the result that the speed difference between
a Java application and its equivalent in a language such as C++ can
be a lot smaller than it was when JVMs worked only by interpreting
bytecode. It's not the language I'd pick if I needed the best possible
performance, and I don't want to start a flame war here, but -- just
sayin'.

[ snip ]

--
B. L. Massingill