From: Archer on
I've been trying for a week or more to get Slackware 13.1 via ftp, http
and bittorrent without success. The Slackware torrents page seems okay
except that torrents don't start up, and the mirrors for my locality
(Australia) are either non-respomsive or can't be found. I'm not having
any of these problems except with Slack.

Does anyone know what's happening with GetSlack?

Has anyone downloaded 13.1?

Archer
From: kn00bie on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 02:15:00 +0000, Archer wrote:

> I've been trying for a week or more to get Slackware 13.1 via ftp, http
> and bittorrent without success. The Slackware torrents page seems okay
> except that torrents don't start up, and the mirrors for my locality
> (Australia) are either non-respomsive or can't be found. I'm not having
> any of these problems except with Slack.
>
> Does anyone know what's happening with GetSlack?
>
> Has anyone downloaded 13.1?
>
> Archer

alt.binaries.cd.image.linux

From: joe on
Archer <champ(a)the.bit> wrote:
> I've been trying for a week or more to get Slackware 13.1 via ftp, http
> and bittorrent without success. The Slackware torrents page seems okay
> except that torrents don't start up, and the mirrors for my locality
> (Australia) are either non-respomsive or can't be found. I'm not having
> any of these problems except with Slack.
>
> Does anyone know what's happening with GetSlack?
>
> Has anyone downloaded 13.1?
>
> Archer

Hi, Archer!

Yes, I've recently (Friday) downloaded Slackware 13.1. Here's what I did:

vvv

1. I fired up my favorite browser (seamonkey) and went to the Slackware site (http://slackware.com).

2. I clicked on "Get Slack".

3. I clicked on "torrents page". Now seamonkey shows that I'm at this url:

http://slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php

4. I scrolled down the page and found the first disk ("Slackware 13.1 x86 Install ISO disc 1") and clicked on it.

5. Seamonkey responded with, "What should Seamonkey do with this file?" It gives two choices, "Open with" and "Save File". I chose "Open with" by clicking on the corresponding radio button.

6. Then I clicked on "Browse..." that appears next to "Open with".

7. In the browse window I navigated to /usr/bin/ktorrent which is where the torrent program that I like to use can be found on my system. Then I clicked once on Ktorrent to highlight it. Then I clicked on "Open".

8. The window said "Open with ktorrent". I clicked on "OK".

9. The next window was a busy one, but examining it showed that it offered choices for where to save the downloaded files and what files to down load. There were four files for disk 1. I selected all four, and I indicated where I wanted them to be saved. Then I clicked on "OK"

10. The torrent download started. I could tell it was running by watching the screen. The download progress and speed were displayed.

11. Later I learned how to limit the down load (and up load) speed so that my wife wouldn't complain about me hogging the internet.

12. After each down load got to 50% I started the next one in the same way. I felt better (impatience) having the downloads overlapped in that way. My internet is DSL, but it's not blazing fast, plus I wasn't going at the max my connection could handle, and I didn't leave it running at night. (Yes, you can stop and restart the downloads. And do others a favor by leaving finished downloads running so that other people can benefit--that's how torrent works.) As a result mydownloads for the first three disks took a few days. The first three disks are enough to install Slackware 13.1.

^^^

Good luck to you!

-Joe

From: Danno on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 02:15:00 GMT
Archer <champ(a)the.bit> wrote:

> I've been trying for a week or more to get Slackware 13.1 via ftp, http
> and bittorrent without success. The Slackware torrents page seems okay
> except that torrents don't start up, and the mirrors for my locality
> (Australia) are either non-respomsive or can't be found. I'm not having
> any of these problems except with Slack.
> Does anyone know what's happening with GetSlack?
> Has anyone downloaded 13.1?
> Archer

I think it's illegal to use Slackware in Australia, isn't it?

--
Slackware 12.2, 2.6.27.7, Core i7 920, GeForce 8400 GS
RLU #272755
From: andrew on
On 2010-07-05, Archer <champ(a)the.bit> wrote:

> Has anyone downloaded 13.1?

Actual Australian ftp sites do not seem to be carrying much slackware
material, but speeds to the US and Europe are not so bad from my part of
Australia... If you continue to have trouble send an email from this
website:

http://www.andrews-corner.org

and I can send you a copy, us Aussies should stick together :).

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?