From: Grant on
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 06:16:13 -0700 (PDT), jr4412 <jr4412(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 9 July, 05:22, Archer <ch...(a)the.bit> wrote:

>> > given the 'quality' of Archer's posts in various newsgroups (check out
>> > the rants at atheists), I'd say, you're welcome.
>>
>> Do some checking yourself, idiot. I don't post there.
>>
>> Archer.
>
>you're absolutely right -- when was the last time that happened -- you
>posted in 'alt.religion' not 'alt.atheists'.
>
>and so, to forestall your argument ("cretins who judge on one post") I
>spent (wasted, more like) the lunch break re-reading a selection of
>your posts (including the 'Ned Latham' ones) on various other
>newsgroups and the pattern is quite clear to see -- you're someone who
>enjoys swearing and (verbal) bullying better than reasoned debate.
>
>it seems you know your stuff when it comes to medieval warfare, shame
>you know little or nothing about people, manners, civility.

So that's where we're at on Usenet? 'medieval warfare' level?

Thanks so much for answering the burning question in many minds about
why Usenet is as it is these days :o)

Grant.
From: Grant on
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:23:36 GMT, Archer <champ(a)the.bit> wrote:

>On 2010-07-09, Joseph Rosevear <joe(a)max2.hopto.org> wrote:
>> Archer <champ(a)the.bit> wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks, Joe. I did as you did, except for using a different p2p client.
>> > Normally, I'd think that the client was the problem, but it's giving no
>> > trouble with othr sites.
>> >
>> > I've gone for an ftp download.
>>
>> Ftp? How did you manage that? I don't seem able to get ftp to work
>> reliably (if at all) for downloads of that size. Anyway, I quit
>> trying.
>
>ftp -p <server>, then anon login.
>
>> Glad you succeeded!
>
>Actually, I didn't. The server cut the connection after 2G. Never had
>any problem with ftp before, though.

That's a problem with the local filesystem, not ftp. Usually when
people try to copy files to vfat partition. Perhaps ext2? I'm not
sure if it has a file size limit. I use reiserfs3 which has no issue
there.

>So far, I still don't have it. Got a copy from slackware.cs.utah.edu,
>but it's corrupt.

Your download methods are faulty then. Not ftp.

>Very frustrating.

What OS and filesystem are you using? If you're on windoze you got to
be on NTFS partition for file >2G.

As I posted upthread, wget is a good, reliable download client for large
files (and other reasons too!) using both ftp or http protocols.

It is my CLI client of choice, a) because it works; b) because it
has the rate limit option for long downloads, so they don't swamp
the connection.

Grant.
From: HoneyMonster on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 06:49:14 +1000, Grant wrote:

> That's a problem with the local filesystem, not ftp. Usually when
> people try to copy files to vfat partition. Perhaps ext2? I'm not sure
> if it has a file size limit. I use reiserfs3 which has no issue there.

Agreed that it is a filesystem problem, but ext2 doesn't have that
restriction.

Btw, I used the torrent download - onto an ext2 USB drive - for the 13.1
DVD (64 bit) yesterday and it was fine. Took an hour and a half on my
broadband connection.

[daddy(a)daddy slackware64-13.1-iso]$ ls -l
total 4273992
-rw-r--r-- 1 daddy daddy 4371912704 Jul 8 20:33 slackware64-13.1-install-
dvd.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 daddy daddy 198 Jul 8 19:03 slackware64-13.1-install-
dvd.iso.asc
-rw-r--r-- 1 daddy daddy 67 Jul 8 19:03 slackware64-13.1-install-
dvd.iso.md5
-rw-r--r-- 1 daddy daddy 355559 Jul 8 19:03 slackware64-13.1-install-
dvd.iso.txt
[daddy(a)daddy slackware64-13.1-iso]$ md5sum slackware64-13.1-install-
dvd.iso
d074cf4bfbfe642e619d400c75c5bb2d slackware64-13.1-install-dvd.iso
[daddy(a)daddy slackware64-13.1-iso]$ cat slackware64-13.1-install-
dvd.iso.md5
From: Archer on

----snip----

> > > Ftp? How did you manage that? I don't seem able to get ftp to work
> > > reliably (if at all) for downloads of that size. Anyway, I quit
> > > trying.
> >
> > ftp -p <server>, then anon login.
> >
> > > Glad you succeeded!
>
> > Actually, I didn't. The server cut the connection after 2G. Never had
> > any problem with ftp before, though.
>
> That's a problem with the local filesystem, not ftp.

No. The server cut the connection.

> Usually when
> people try to copy files to vfat partition. Perhaps ext2? I'm not
> sure if it has a file size limit.

If it has one, it's greater than 2G.

----snip----

> > So far, I still don't have it. Got a copy from slackware.cs.utah.edu,
> > but it's corrupt.
>
> Your download methods are faulty then. Not ftp.

I know it's not ftp. Ut's been a friend for years.

I'd be interested to know what you think might be wrong with my
"download methods". See the ftp invocation above.

> > Very frustrating.
>
> What OS and filesystem are you using?

Slackware 12.2 and reiserfs.

----snip----

> As I posted upthread, wget is a good, reliable download client for large
> files (and other reasons too!) using both ftp or http protocols.

Never used it for ftp before; l didn't know it could be done (RTFM,
fuckwit!). Thanks for the tip.

----snip----

Archer
From: Archer on
On 2010-07-09, jr4412 <jr4412(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 July, 05:22, Archer <ch...(a)the.bit> wrote:
> >
> > I don't post in either of those groups.
>
> followed the links from your profile page, perhaps a Google issue.

Doubt it. If you found posts of mine in either of those two groups, it
will be because I followed up crossposted troll posts. I do not, as a
rule, willingly or intentionally post into groups whose content is
acrimonious dispute.

> > Pity you know nothing about investigation.
>
> ??

Like looking at the posts I'm responding to.

Before this thread I posted very little to this group; always helpfully
or innocuously. I've seen some of Dan C's abusiveness, but gave it no
attention until now because I couldn't be bothered with looking at what
he was responding to.

Like you with me; the difference being that I made no judgement. Until
now. Think about it: just what do you think of a person who abuses a
poster in response to a request for advice?

You accused me of "enjoying" swearing and bullying better than reasoned
debate. Based on what? Your dislike of profanity?

Pffft.

Archer