From: Res on
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 18:33:52 +1000, Grant wrote:

> On 07 Jul 2010 03:12:07 GMT, Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid> wrote:

>>> Hi Archer,
>>>
>>> I gave up downloading the .iso ages ago. I always download the
>>> individual files using rsync. Then build my own .iso image.
>>
>>Why? Why go to that much trouble? What advantage does making your own
>>.iso provide?
>
> If you're keeping up to date with -current, you can make a .iso as soon
> as new version is announced :)

not to mention use later versions of some software (MySQL etc) built they
way we want it, and of course include other software Pat doesn't
(postfix, dovecot, pureftpd ...)

From: Grant on
On 09 Jul 2010 04:30:03 GMT, Joseph Rosevear <joe(a)max2.hopto.org> wrote:

>Archer <champ(a)the.bit> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Joe. I did as you did, except for using a different p2p client.
>> Normally, I'd think that the client was the problem, but it's giving no
>> trouble with othr sites.
>>
>> I've gone for and ftp download.
>
>Ftp? How did you manage that? I don't seem able to get ftp to work
>reliably (if at all) for downloads of that size. Anyway, I quit
>trying.

I occasionally do 40 hour ftp or http downloads with wget --limit-rate=nn ...,
always very reliable for me. From the command line too. I'm on a slow
connection so a DVD takes about that time for me.

Grant.

From: Grant on
On 9 Jul 2010 16:46:38 +1100, Res <res(a)ausics.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>I know it's a bit late now :)
>but for future references..
>http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/slackware/

Just done a quick trial, they do rsync too :)

Grant.
From: kn00bie on
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 10:21:09 +0000, Archer wrote:

> On 2010-07-05, kn00bie <kn00bie(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 02:15:00 +0000, Archer wrote:
>> >
>> > I've been trying for a week or more to get Slackware 13.1 via ftp,
>> > http and bittorrent without success. The Slackware torrents page
>> > seems okay except that torrents don't start up, and the mirrors for
>> > my locality (Australia) are either non-respomsive or can't be found.
>> > I'm not having any of these problems except with Slack.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know what's happening with GetSlack?
>> >
>> > Has anyone downloaded 13.1?
>>
>> alt.binaries.cd.image.linux
>
> Phew! Easynews served up over 144,000 messages. And some of them were
> about slack.
>
> Now permanently subscribed. Thanks.
>
> Archer

Those aren't text messages. They are multiparts of binary posts. Download
all of the Slackware parts and you'll have an ISO for each DVD but you may
need a binary-capable newsreader. I don't know if slrn can do binaries.
From: jr4412 on
On 9 July, 05:22, Archer <ch...(a)the.bit> wrote:
> On 2010-07-08, jr4412 <jr4...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 8 July, 16:57, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>
> > > Another Linux user successfully driven (mad) away from Slackware to
> > > Ubuntu!
>
> > given the 'quality' of Archer's posts in various newsgroups (check out
> > the rants at atheists), I'd say, you're welcome.
>
> Do some checking yourself, idiot. I don't post there.
>
> Archer.

you're absolutely right -- when was the last time that happened -- you
posted in 'alt.religion' not 'alt.atheists'.

and so, to forestall your argument ("cretins who judge on one post") I
spent (wasted, more like) the lunch break re-reading a selection of
your posts (including the 'Ned Latham' ones) on various other
newsgroups and the pattern is quite clear to see -- you're someone who
enjoys swearing and (verbal) bullying better than reasoned debate.

it seems you know your stuff when it comes to medieval warfare, shame
you know little or nothing about people, manners, civility.