From: Grant on
On 07 Jul 2010 03:12:07 GMT, Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 20:13:42 +0000, geep wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 02:15:00 +0000, Archer wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying for a week or more to get Slackware 13.1 via ftp, http
>>> and bittorrent without success. The Slackware torrents page seems okay
>>> except that torrents don't start up, and the mirrors for my locality
>>> (Australia) are either non-respomsive or can't be found. I'm not having
>>> any of these problems except with Slack.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what's happening with GetSlack?
>>>
>>> Has anyone downloaded 13.1?
>>>
>>> Archer
>>
>> Hi Archer,
>>
>> I gave up downloading the .iso ages ago. I always download the
>> individual files using rsync. Then build my own .iso image.
>
>Why? Why go to that much trouble? What advantage does making your
>own .iso provide?

If you're keeping up to date with -current, you can make a .iso as soon
as new version is announced :)

Of course if it was a choice of downloading individual files or an
iso, then yes, iso makes more sense.

Here I usually make bootable CD and do NFS install, I only burn a DVD
for off-site installs, and leave that DVD with the machine.

Grant.
From: geep on
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 03:12:07 +0000, Dan C wrote:

> Why? Why go to that much trouble? What advantage does making your own
> .iso provide?

I found bit torrent slow.
Using rsync to download an .iso I sometimes got md5sum check failure.
There isn't an .iso available for slack current.
I keep slack current up to date so for each new release the additional
download is minimal.
If I burn a new .iso today it's trivial to include all the patches.

Cheers, Peter
From: Archer on
On 2010-07-05, kn00bie <kn00bie(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 02:15:00 +0000, Archer wrote:
> >
> > I've been trying for a week or more to get Slackware 13.1 via ftp, http
> > and bittorrent without success. The Slackware torrents page seems okay
> > except that torrents don't start up, and the mirrors for my locality
> > (Australia) are either non-respomsive or can't be found. I'm not having
> > any of these problems except with Slack.
> >
> > Does anyone know what's happening with GetSlack?
> >
> > Has anyone downloaded 13.1?
>
> alt.binaries.cd.image.linux

Phew! Easynews served up over 144,000 messages. And some of them were
about slack.

Now permanently subscribed. Thanks.

Archer
From: Archer on

----snip----

> > Has anyone downloaded 13.1?
>
> Hi, Archer!
>
> Yes, I've recently (Friday) downloaded Slackware 13.1. Here's what I did:
>
> vvv
>
> 1. I fired up my favorite browser (seamonkey) and went to the Slackware
> site (http://slackware.com).
>
> 2. I clicked on "Get Slack".
>
> 3. I clicked on "torrents page". Now seamonkey shows that I'm at this url:
>
> http://slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php
>
> 4. I scrolled down the page and found the first disk ("Slackware 13.1 x86
> Install ISO disc 1") and clicked on it.
>
> 5. Seamonkey responded with, "What should Seamonkey do with this file?"
> It gives two choices, "Open with" and "Save File". I chose "Open with"
> by clicking on the corresponding radio button.

And so on...

Thanks, Joe. I did as you did, except for using a different p2p client.
Normally, I'd think that the client was the problem, but it's giving no
trouble with othr sites.

I've gone for and ftp download.

Archer
From: Archer on
On 2010-07-06, Richard Herbert <rherbert(a)sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 02:15:00 +0000, Archer wrote:
>
> > Has anyone downloaded 13.1?
>
> I downloaded the Slackware 13.1 DVD ISO from:
>
> ftp.belnet.be/packages/slackware/slackware-13.1-iso/
>
> Very fast downloads and max 1000 users.

Thanks, Richard. Download in progress.

Archer.