From: Archer on
On 2010-07-09, Joseph Rosevear <joe(a)max2.hopto.org> wrote:
> Archer <champ(a)the.bit> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Joe. I did as you did, except for using a different p2p client.
> > Normally, I'd think that the client was the problem, but it's giving no
> > trouble with othr sites.
> >
> > I've gone for an ftp download.
>
> Ftp? How did you manage that? I don't seem able to get ftp to work
> reliably (if at all) for downloads of that size. Anyway, I quit
> trying.

ftp -p <server>, then anon login.

> Glad you succeeded!

Actually, I didn't. The server cut the connection after 2G. Never had
any problem with ftp before, though.

So far, I still don't have it. Got a copy from slackware.cs.utah.edu,
but it's corrupt.

Very frustrating.

Archer
From: Archer on

----snip----

> > > Archer: Internode's mirror (unofficial mirror) carries it.
> >
> > That'd be perfect, but I can't find it from their home page, logged in
> > or not. Any way, I'm presently downloading it by ftp from a Belgian
> > site.
> >
> > Thanks, Res.
>
> Hi,
> I know it's a bit late now :)

Not for this.

> but for future references..
> http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/slackware/

Bookmarked. Thanks again, Res. Much appreciated.

Archer
From: Archer on

----snip----

> > > alt.binaries.cd.image.linux
> >
> > Phew! Easynews served up over 144,000 messages. And some of them were
> > about slack.
> >
> > Now permanently subscribed. Thanks.
>
> Those aren't text messages. They are multiparts of binary posts. Download
> all of the Slackware parts and you'll have an ISO for each DVD but you may
> need a binary-capable newsreader. I don't know if slrn can do binaries.

News is a 7-bit medium: it's not the client, but the servers. I've
transferred binaries before with slrn (u/l and d/l), always encoded
with uu or yy to make them conform.

Archer
From: Archer on
On 2010-07-09, jr4412 <jr4412(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 July, 05:22, Archer <ch...(a)the.bit> wrote:

> > > given the 'quality' of Archer's posts in various newsgroups (check out
> > > the rants at atheists), I'd say, you're welcome.
> >
> > Do some checking yourself, idiot. I don't post there.
>
> you're absolutely right -- when was the last time that happened -- you
> posted in 'alt.religion' not 'alt.atheists'.

I don't post in either of those groups. From what you say below,
however, I believe you could have read posts is which I followed up
widely crossposted abusive rants from a troll in one of the aus.*
groups, and that such could indeed have included relgious groups in
the headers.

> and so, to forestall your argument ("cretins who judge on one post") I
> spent (wasted, more like) the lunch break re-reading a selection of
> your posts (including the 'Ned Latham' ones)

That's my name.

> on various other
> newsgroups and the pattern is quite clear to see -- you're someone who
> enjoys swearing and (verbal) bullying better than reasoned debate.

Wrong again. It's clear that your time *was* wasted. Your attempt
to forestall my argument was a flop and your analysis is flawed:
try reading some of what I was responding to.

> it seems you know your stuff when it comes to medieval warfare, shame
> you know little or nothing about people, manners, civility.

Pity you know nothing about investigation. Or your own prejudices.

Archer
From: jr4412 on
> I don't post in either of those groups.

followed the links from your profile page, perhaps a Google issue.

> Pity you know nothing about investigation.

??

> Or your own prejudices.

sure, I'm as capable of being wrong as the next person, let's leave it
at that.

jr