From: Archer on

----snip----

> > > Glad you succeeded!
> >
> > Actually, I didn't. The server cut the connection after 2G. Never had
> > any problem with ftp before, though.
>
> The "ftp" program from 32-bit Slackware (even Slackware 13.1) stops
> downloads at 2^31-1 = 2147483647 bytes. ftp comes from netkit-ftp
> package and it's described as "the old BSD FTP client" and "This is a
> program of mostly historical value. For a more powerful command-line
> FTP client, look at something like lftp."

Are you sure about that? That's a pretty serious bug, and there's
nothing about it in the man page.

I downloaded 10.2 with ftp, though not in one file.

> A dvd iso can be downloaded correctly using ftp protocol at least with
> lftp, ncftp, gftp, wget, lynx, firefox, seamonkey. (And the old "ftp"
> works in 64-bit Slackware, of course. Up to 2^63-1 =
> 9223372036854775808 bytes, I guess.)

:-)

Archer
From: John K. Herreshoff on
Archer wrote:

> On 2010-07-10, Helmut Hullen <Helmut(a)Hullen.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hallo, Archer,
>>
>> Du meintest am 10.07.10:
>>
>> > Doubt it. If you found posts of mine in either of those two
>> > groups, it will be because I followed up crossposted troll posts.
>>
>> Why do you feed them?
>
> "Don't feed the trolls" shows the proper contempt, but since Windows
> and Outlook made Usenet available to idiots and lunatics, it's no
> longer practical advice. Many are too stupid or obsessed to be
> affected by passive resistance.
>
> Dan C attacked me without reason. From what I've seen, he's done
> that to others too, apparently with impunity. That doesn't apply
> now, and if others smack him for his churlishness too, he might just
> learn some civility.
>
> ----snip----
>
> Cheers,
>
> Archer

Learn WHAT? Fat chance. He must like pain and rebuke.

John.

--
Using the jch_box.
From: Archer on

----snip----

> > and so, to forestall your argument ("cretins who judge on one post") I
> > spent (wasted, more like) the lunch break re-reading a selection of your
> > posts (including the 'Ned Latham' ones) on various other newsgroups and
> > the pattern is quite clear to see -- you're someone who enjoys swearing
> > and (verbal) bullying better than reasoned debate.
> >
> > it seems you know your stuff when it comes to medieval warfare, shame
> > you know little or nothing about people, manners, civility.
>
> Some good confirmation

A flawed analysis is "good confirmation"? As I've urged you before,
you cretin, get another neuron.

> that this 'Archer' n00b is nothing but the latest
> troll

You should quit projecting, Dank. It's not convincing.

> passing through.

LOL. I've been lurking here since 2000, and posting since 2003.

> Hopefully he'll be gone soon like most trolls.

You're still projecting, Dank. And I bet you can't even convince
yourself. You ooron.

Archer
From: Petri Kaukasoina on
Archer <poster> wrote:
>On 2010-07-10, Petri Kaukasoina <kaukasoina1001n57qu040(a)sci.fi> wrote:
>> The "ftp" program from 32-bit Slackware (even Slackware 13.1) stops
>> downloads at 2^31-1 = 2147483647 bytes.
>
>Are you sure about that? That's a pretty serious bug, and there's
>nothing about it in the man page.

After a recompile with -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
added to CFLAGS it downloads a DVD size iso image correctly. Although,
after the download, it at least prints the size and download speed
incorrectly because of 32-bit math.
From: Grant on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:22:15 GMT, Archer <champ(a)the.bit> wrote:

>On 2010-07-10, Helmut Hullen <Helmut(a)Hullen.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hallo, Archer,
>>
>> Du meintest am 10.07.10:
>>
>> > Doubt it. If you found posts of mine in either of those two groups,
>> > it will be because I followed up crossposted troll posts.
>>
>> Why do you feed them?
>
>"Don't feed the trolls" shows the proper contempt, but since Windows
>and Outlook made Usenet available to idiots and lunatics, it's no
>longer practical advice. Many are too stupid or obsessed to be
>affected by passive resistance.
>
>Dan C attacked me without reason. From what I've seen, he's done that
>to others too, apparently with impunity. That doesn't apply now,
>and if others smack him for his churlishness too, he might just learn
>some civility.

No. Dan C. has been himself, just like that, for the many years I've
been here.

I think it's his special, warm way of welcoming newbies to the group ;)

Certainly it sorts out the thin-skinned or intolerant, their reaction
revealing much about their natures.

Grant.