From: Archer on
On 2010-07-05, andrew <andrew(a)skamandros.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-07-05, Archer <champ(a)the.bit> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone downloaded 13.1?
>
> Actual Australian ftp sites do not seem to be carrying much slackware
> material, but speeds to the US and Europe are not so bad from my part of
> Australia... If you continue to have trouble send an email from this
> website:
>
> http://www.andrews-corner.org
>
> and I can send you a copy, us Aussies should stick together :).

Thanks, Andrew. Now downloading from the Belgian site Richard referenced.

Archer
From: Archer on
On 2010-07-05, Res <res(a)ausics.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:47:00 +1000, andrew wrote:
>
> > On 2010-07-05, Archer <champ(a)the.bit> wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone downloaded 13.1?
> >
> > Actual Australian ftp sites do not seem to be carrying much slackware
> > material, but speeds to the US and Europe are not so bad from my part of
> > Australia... If you continue to have trouble send an email from this
> > website:
> >
> > http://www.andrews-corner.org
> >
> > and I can send you a copy, us Aussies should stick together :).
> >
> > Andrew
>

> The mirrors page is out of date,

Mmm. I tried amending ftp.planetmirror.com to planetmirror.com and got
connected, but their "slackwarei" page has OpenOffice and such. No slack.

> has been for over 4 years, I've brought
> it to their attention several times, I have given up in recent times, I
> even offered to take over maintaining it, but got as much response as I
> did with the dead links :) so forget the official slackware mirror site
> listing.
>
> Archer: Internode's mirror (unofficial mirror) carries it.

That'd be perfect, but I can't find it from their home page, logged in
or not. Any way, I'm presently downloading it by ftp from a Belgian
site.

Thanbks, Rez.

Archer
From: Archer on

----snip----

> Hi Archer,
>
> I gave up downloading the .iso ages ago. I always download the individual
> files using rsync. Then build my own .iso image. A couple of reliable
> mirrors I use are:
> http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/
> http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/slackware/
>
> e.g. This skips source etc. for a faster download.
> Of course you can include them if you want everything.
> bwlimit so I can still watch streaming TV at the same time.
> rsync \
> --bwlimit=375 \
> -avzP --delete --human-readable \
> --filter=-_/source \
> --filter=-_/extra \
> --filter=-_/pasture \
> --filter=-_/testing \
> rsync://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/slackware/slackware-13.1/ .
>
> or (this should be all on one line)
> rsync://rsync.mirrorservice.org/ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/
> slackware-13.1/ .
>
> (DO NOT FORGET THE FINAL DOT)
>
> I put some details about this in another post on here recently.
> Look for Jun 29 post by author geep.

Interesting. I'll keep this for future reference. For now though,
since I only use the stabl;e releases, the DVD iso is what I want:
since 10.2, my method has been to d/l the iso and istall everything.
Easy, and makes my nachines flexible. Later (after testing), I mount
it, delete some stuff, add some other stuff and make tailred images.

Now downloading via ftp from Belgium. Thanks for the response, Peter.

Archer.
From: Dan C on
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 18:33:52 +1000, Grant wrote:

> On 07 Jul 2010 03:12:07 GMT, Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid> wrote:

>>> Hi Archer,
>>>
>>> I gave up downloading the .iso ages ago. I always download the
>>> individual files using rsync. Then build my own .iso image.
>>
>>Why? Why go to that much trouble? What advantage does making your own
>>.iso provide?
>
> If you're keeping up to date with -current, you can make a .iso as soon
> as new version is announced :)

Well, yes, although the OP about this made no mention of keeping up with
-current...

> Of course if it was a choice of downloading individual files or an iso,
> then yes, iso makes more sense.

Exactly. Hence, my question.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he lay back and lit Piglet's cigarette.
From: Dan C on
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:59:07 +0000, Archer wrote:

<SNIP incomprehensible drivel>

LOL! You're more stupid than most of the trolls that stop by here.

Pwned.

Buh-bye, dimmy.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he puked on Christopher Robin.