From: blmblm on
In article <87eier66sw.fsf(a)mythtv.grymoire.com>,
Maxwell Lol <nospam(a)com.invalid> wrote:
> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:
>
> > As for the Virus Total reports they show just how poorly Many Java
> > related trojans and exploits are poorly detected.
>
> Sorry for coming into this discussion late....
>
> Secunia recently released a report.
>
> For those who don't know, secunia offers a product called psi which is
> free, and checks to see if ANY of your programs have security
> vunerabilities. It tells you it's time to update your jre, flash,
> etc. I run it on my personal Windows-based computers. As an option, it
> can collect information from a large number of users. Based on that
> informaiton, they summaries thair statistics here: here:
>
> http://secunia.com/gfx/pdf/Secunia_Half_Year_Report_2010.pdf
>
> On page 14 is a chart of the vulnerabilities of 3rd party programs
> ranked by product, and Oracle/sun is ranked as #3.

Nitpicking a bit -- Java specifically, not "Oracle/sun", right?
A person who just reads your post and not the report might think
what's being ranked here is some kind of summary information for
all products made by "Oracle/Sun" [*], which isn't the case.

[*] Which in turn may still be too new a marriage to be regarded
as a single entity with a single reputation?

> So there are many
> java security issues. More so that Acrobat or flash. (Although Acrobat
> had more "events") which may be a better indication of the severity of
> the vulnerability.

Yes, the thing I kept wondering in skimming through that report was
"are all of these problems of equal importance?"

The other thing is that this report seems to talk only about
Windows, and one of the problems mentioned upthread seemed
to specifically involve modifying the registry, which makes me
wonder how many of all these problems are cross-platform. I find
it imaginable at least that Sun could be a lot better at writing
secure software for UNIX-like systems than secure software for
other platforms -- I mean, one of their offerings *IS* a UNIX-like
operating system, no?

Still, disappointing/disturbing/something.

--
B. L. Massingill
First  |  Prev  |