From: Charlie Hoffpauir on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 10:38:05 -0500, PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:

>If I decide to build my own computer, what recourse do I have if it
>doesn't work? How would I determine which component is bad or
>incorrectly connected, etc.?
>
>Thanks....
>
>Bob

Bob,

First, you have to know "a little" before starting out on such a
project, at a minimum, where to go to get help. I've built up
computers since the 70's when building your own meant soldering chips
to a circuit board, and altho it's lots easier now, the computers are
also much more sophisticated. You can get a lot of help by asking
questions in this newsgroup, and there are specific usenet groups for
specific components, but again, you need to understand a bit so you
will know what to ask, and where to ask it.

(by the way, my first computer monitor (a kit) didn't work, but the
kit supplier had a policy of troubleshooting it, so off it went and
for about $30 came back working. I doubt that such a service exists
anywhere now.)
--
Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson
From: Bob on
On Aug 8, 11:38 am, PeoplesCho...(a)Chicago.net wrote:
> If I decide to build my own computer, what recourse do I have if it
> doesn't work?  How would I determine which component is bad or
> incorrectly connected, etc.?
>
> Thanks....
>
> Bob

"Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring."

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com
From: Rick on
On 8/8/2010 11:07 AM, John Doe wrote:
> PeoplesChoice Chicago.net wrote:
>
>> If I decide to build my own computer, what recourse do I have if
>> it doesn't work? How would I determine which component is bad
>> or incorrectly connected, etc.?
>
> If you are trying to save money, forget it. If you want to build
> your own computer because you want to be able to troubleshoot it
> and you want a computer that is finely customized to your needs,
> you can start by buying a new or used computer that can be
> upgraded, and go from there.
>
> When you put the pieces together, you should start with the bare
> necessities. The case, the mainboard/motherboard, the power
> supply, the CPU, one stick of memory, the monitor, and then see if
> that gets you into the BIOS. I usually put everything together,
> but if a difficult problem arises, I hunker down and do it the
> that way. That is how you troubleshoot a build. Also, having a
> different computer with access to the Internet is a good idea.
> Also, you should have spare parts that you can swap. That one is a
> good reason to start with a used or new computer that can be
> customized.
>
> After upgrading/building your own for a while, you end up with
> lots more spare parts (especially connectors) then you need. That
> helps take care of troubleshooting.
IMO bad idea

--

Rick Holbrook
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

Reply to: fholbrook(at)cableone.net

From: John Doe on
Rick <fholbrook nospam.cableone.net> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>> PeoplesChoice Chicago.net wrote:

>>> If I decide to build my own computer, what recourse do I have
>>> if it doesn't work? How would I determine which component is
>>> bad or incorrectly connected, etc.?
>>
>> If you are trying to save money, forget it. If you want to
>> build your own computer because you want to be able to
>> troubleshoot it and you want a computer that is finely
>> customized to your needs, you can start by buying a new or used
>> computer that can be upgraded, and go from there.
>>
>> When you put the pieces together, you should start with the
>> bare necessities. The case, the mainboard/motherboard, the
>> power supply, the CPU, one stick of memory, the monitor, and
>> then see if that gets you into the BIOS. I usually put
>> everything together, but if a difficult problem arises, I
>> hunker down and do it the that way. That is how you
>> troubleshoot a build. Also, having a different computer with
>> access to the Internet is a good idea. Also, you should have
>> spare parts that you can swap. That one is a good reason to
>> start with a used or new computer that can be customized.
>>
>> After upgrading/building your own for a while, you end up with
>> lots more spare parts (especially connectors) then you need.
>> That helps take care of troubleshooting.

> IMO bad idea

Fuckturd?

From: DJT on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 23:57:48 +0800, Man-wai Chang
<toylet.toylet(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 8/8/2010 23:56, Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> On 8/8/2010 23:38, PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
>>> If I decide to build my own computer, what recourse do I have if it
>>> doesn't work? How would I determine which component is bad or
>>> incorrectly connected, etc.?
>>
>> Best way out is to find a friend who knows about DIY PC!
>>

>... and do your homework by google-ing "how to build your own pc"

If you are in Australia you can still pick the parts and get the local
PC Shop to build it for you.

Thats what I do and it costs an extra $80-$90 to have exactly what you
want

DJT