From: PeoplesChoice on
If I decide to build my own computer, what recourse do I have if it
doesn't work? How would I determine which component is bad or
incorrectly connected, etc.?

Thanks....

Bob
From: Man-wai Chang on
On 8/8/2010 23:38, PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
> If I decide to build my own computer, what recourse do I have if it
> doesn't work? How would I determine which component is bad or
> incorrectly connected, etc.?

Best way out is to find a friend who knows about DIY PC!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35
From: Man-wai Chang on
On 8/8/2010 23:56, Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 8/8/2010 23:38, PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
>> If I decide to build my own computer, what recourse do I have if it
>> doesn't work? How would I determine which component is bad or
>> incorrectly connected, etc.?
>
> Best way out is to find a friend who knows about DIY PC!

.... and do your homework by google-ing "how to build your own pc"

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35
^ ^ 23:57:02 up 2 days 7:25 0 users load average: 1.23 1.17 1.11
From: John Doe on
PeoplesChoice Chicago.net wrote:

> If I decide to build my own computer, what recourse do I have if
> it doesn't work? How would I determine which component is bad
> or incorrectly connected, etc.?

If you are trying to save money, forget it. If you want to build
your own computer because you want to be able to troubleshoot it
and you want a computer that is finely customized to your needs,
you can start by buying a new or used computer that can be
upgraded, and go from there.

When you put the pieces together, you should start with the bare
necessities. The case, the mainboard/motherboard, the power
supply, the CPU, one stick of memory, the monitor, and then see if
that gets you into the BIOS. I usually put everything together,
but if a difficult problem arises, I hunker down and do it the
that way. That is how you troubleshoot a build. Also, having a
different computer with access to the Internet is a good idea.
Also, you should have spare parts that you can swap. That one is a
good reason to start with a used or new computer that can be
customized.

After upgrading/building your own for a while, you end up with
lots more spare parts (especially connectors) then you need. That
helps take care of troubleshooting.
From: LSMFT on
PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
> If I decide to build my own computer, what recourse do I have if it
> doesn't work? How would I determine which component is bad or
> incorrectly connected, etc.?
>
> Thanks....
>
> Bob

Get educated.

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!