From: Siddhartha Jain on
What is SPIFFI and what is its relation to storage system? When I start
Qlogic's SANSurfer Pro HBA management software, its gives me a warning
that the attached device (an IBM DS4300) is non-SPIFFI compliant.
Product documentation doesn't throw much light on it.

- Siddhartha

From: John Turco on
Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> What is SPIFFI and what is its relation to storage system? When I start
> Qlogic's SANSurfer Pro HBA management software, its gives me a warning
> that the attached device (an IBM DS4300) is non-SPIFFI compliant.
> Product documentation doesn't throw much light on it.
>
> - Siddhartha

Hello, Siddhartha:

This Hewlett-Packard <http://www.hp.com> Web page discusses SPIFFI:

IT Resource Forums - HSG60 and Qlogic QLA2340
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=914789

Here's a quote from it:

"SPIFFI stands for 'Specification for Platform-Independent Failover and
Failback Integration' and I think Qlogic has invented this thing."

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>
From: Siddhartha Jain on
John Turco wrote:
> Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> >
> > What is SPIFFI and what is its relation to storage system? When I start
> > Qlogic's SANSurfer Pro HBA management software, its gives me a warning
> > that the attached device (an IBM DS4300) is non-SPIFFI compliant.
> > Product documentation doesn't throw much light on it.
> >
> > - Siddhartha
>

> Hello, Siddhartha:
>
> This Hewlett-Packard <http://www.hp.com> Web page discusses SPIFFI:
>
> IT Resource Forums - HSG60 and Qlogic QLA2340
> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=914789
>
> Here's a quote from it:
>
> "SPIFFI stands for 'Specification for Platform-Independent Failover and
> Failback Integration' and I think Qlogic has invented this thing."
>
> Good luck!
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>

Thanks a lot for the pointer John. The IBM tech rep I contacted hadn't
ever heard of the SPIFFI jargon!! Even I am trying the setup on
QLogic's QLA2340 HBAs in failover mode.

- Siddhartha