From: mayayana on

> I was just using this as an example to make the point these type of
> "tidbits" are hard to find. Haven't seen Curlands book so can't comment
one
> way or the other.
>
> As previously stated, it would be nice if you could get a good list, and
> then code accordingly. For those working with MS, this would be a good
> addition to any "Help" IDE.

If you feel that way then I'd very much recommend
Curland's book. He writes with not only an intimate
knowledge of the topic, but also as one clearly
enjoys the topic and enjoys understanding itself. Much
of the book is full of info. like the discussion above about
checking string content. He also covers topics like the
$, W, B versions of calls; arrays; general string efficiency;
COM; windowed vs windowless controls; etc.

I also used his self-subclassing code for a long time,
which is a great way to easily use customized system
windows (listbox, textbox, RTB, etc.). The code is still
good but it uses inline assembly that runs afoul of DEP.
(I'm now using Paul Caton's version, as recommended
by someone here, but that's another topic.)

From: Ralph on

"David" <dw85745NOT(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> RE:

> I was just using this as an example to make the point these type of
> "tidbits" are hard to find. Haven't seen Curlands book so can't comment
one
> way or the other.
>
> As previously stated, it would be nice if you could get a good list, and
> then code accordingly. For those working with MS, this would be a good
> addition to any "Help" IDE.

Get Curland's book. You can pick-up used copies (w/o CD) for less than the
cost of shipping. It is a required reference manual for VB.

This might help (as well as included links) even though slightly out of
date, and does contain some controversial suggestions.
http://www.aivosto.com/vbtips/vbtips.html

Read, read, read, ....

-ralph