From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews [MVP] used his keyboard to write :
> MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Life is so much more complicated nowadays than when I proudly fired up
>> my TRS-80 for the first time!
>
> And yet so much easier. I wrote an article on using QEMM and
> Manifest? maybe, to stuff drivers in between 640kb and 1 Mb for
> DOS/Windows 3.1.

Don't go disturbing Mike's golden retirement memories, now, eh? <G>

(Boy, do I remember that! Don't *ever* wanna go back there again!)

--
[.NET: It's About Trust!]

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

>>> Life is so much more complicated nowadays than when I proudly fired up
>>> my TRS-80 for the first time!
>>
>> And yet so much easier. I wrote an article on using QEMM and
>> Manifest? maybe, to stuff drivers in between 640kb and 1 Mb for
>> DOS/Windows 3.1.
>
>Don't go disturbing Mike's golden retirement memories, now, eh? <G>

<chuckle>

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: MarkJ on
Just in case anyone is still interested in RC.exe and wants to know
where to get it: you don't necessarily need Visual C++ 6. The free
"express edition" of Visual C++ from Microsoft includes RC.exe.

(My VB6 install also has RC.exe in a subdirectory Wizards, but that
might not be present in all versions of VB6, not sure)

Cheers, Mark
From: Nobody on
"MarkJ" <mark.tunnard.jackson(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Just in case anyone is still interested in RC.exe and wants to know
> where to get it: you don't necessarily need Visual C++ 6. The free
> "express edition" of Visual C++ from Microsoft includes RC.exe.
>
> (My VB6 install also has RC.exe in a subdirectory Wizards, but that
> might not be present in all versions of VB6, not sure)

I have VC++ 2008 Express and rc.exe is not included. That's one of the
express versions limitations. I searched "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0" and all subfolders for RC*.* and only one irrelevant match was
found. However, I did find it under:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\v2.0\Bin\rc.exe

But I don't know which software that I installed that put it there. Besides
the Express 2008 versions, I have VS 2003 full version, but this is version
1.x based.

From: Ralph on

"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> "MarkJ" <mark.tunnard.jackson(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> > Just in case anyone is still interested in RC.exe and wants to know
> > where to get it: you don't necessarily need Visual C++ 6. The free
> > "express edition" of Visual C++ from Microsoft includes RC.exe.
> >
> > (My VB6 install also has RC.exe in a subdirectory Wizards, but that
> > might not be present in all versions of VB6, not sure)
>
> I have VC++ 2008 Express and rc.exe is not included. That's one of the
> express versions limitations. I searched "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Visual
> Studio 9.0" and all subfolders for RC*.* and only one irrelevant match was
> found. However, I did find it under:
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\v2.0\Bin\rc.exe
>
> But I don't know which software that I installed that put it there.
Besides
> the Express 2008 versions, I have VS 2003 full version, but this is
version
> 1.x based.

Curious, I too went looking and found it all over the place. Your location
above appears to be from an installation of one of the Windows SDKs with the
Framework.

I didn't find it with any of the "Express" versions - but comes with the
'free' C++ compilers/SDKs.

[This is past history but found it interesting that it included in three
places with editons of Visual Studio 6 - as part of MsDev, VB98 Wizards, and
SDK.]

ie, if anyone wants it - it is everywhere. lol

-ralph