From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
steveu <steveu(a)coppice.org> wrote:
>>On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:49:39 -0600, Green Xenon wrote:

>>> What is the maximum amount of bits-per-symbol of FSK possible using a
>>> telephone system [including the phone lines and any devices from start
>>> to finish of the phone's signal chain]?

>>Infinite, but you have to be patient.

> Since telephone lines are heavily quantised by the PCM network, that's
> only going to be true for very funky definitions of "symbol" or "FSK"

Note that the symbol rate wasn't mentioned.

Though I might say that 'symbol' only really applies for synchronous
modulation methods.

-- glen
From: Steve Pope on
steveu <steveu(a)coppice.org> wrote:

>>On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:49:39 -0600, Green Xenon wrote:

>>> What is the maximum amount of bits-per-symbol of FSK possible using a
>>> telephone system [including the phone lines and any devices from start
>>> to finish of the phone's signal chain]?

>>Infinite, but you have to be patient.

>Since telephone lines are heavily quantised by the PCM network, that's
>only going to be true for very funky definitions of "symbol" or "FSK"

Not really.

Symbol length = 24 hours
Tone spacing = (1/86400) Hz
3 KHz bandwidth

That comes to 2^28 tones = 28 bits per symbol.

Steve
From: steveu on
>steveu <steveu(a)coppice.org> wrote:

>>>Infinite, but you have to be patient.
>
>>Since telephone lines are heavily quantised by the PCM network, that's
>>only going to be true for very funky definitions of "symbol" or "FSK"
>
>Not really.
>
>Symbol length = 24 hours
>Tone spacing = (1/86400) Hz
>3 KHz bandwidth
>
>That comes to 2^28 tones = 28 bits per symbol.

Yeah, OK, that just requires an ovenised oscillator or rhubidium clock
:-)

Steve

From: Green Xenon on
>Green Xenon <green_xenon1(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> [glen writes]
>
>>>All the FSK I know of are one bit/symbol.
>
>>Isn't MFSK [Multiple Frequency Shift Keying] a form of FSK that uses
more
>>than 1-bit-per-symbol?
>
>Does the M stand for Multiple or does it mean Minimal?

M stands for multiple
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Green Xenon <green_xenon1(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
(snip)

>>>Isn't MFSK [Multiple Frequency Shift Keying] a form of FSK
>>>that uses more than 1-bit-per-symbol?
(snip, someone wrote)

>>Does the M stand for Multiple or does it mean Minimal?

> M stands for multiple

In that case I believe it is still one bit per symbol per FSK,
though again I don't believe symbol is the right word in
the FSK case.

-- glen