From: Green Xenon on
>Green Xenon wrote:

>> more
>>> Does the M stand for Multiple or does it mean Minimal?
>>
>> M stands for multiple
>
>Can you cite an example?

Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_frequency-shift_keying :

"Multiple frequency-shift keying (MFSK) is a variation of frequency-shift
keying (FSK) that uses more than two frequencies."
From: Green Xenon on
>Jerry Avins wrote:

>>> more
>>>
>>> M stands for multiple
>>
>> Can you cite an example?
>>
>> Jerry
>
>Take a colour photograph of an artist's depiction of each of
>the symbols A - Z, a - z, 0 -9 etc at a resolution of 10
>Mpixels in RAW format,and send your message in the form of
>consecutive image files. That should give you around 240
>million bits per symbol.
>Note that the OP asked: "What is the maximum amount of
>bits-per-symbol of FSK possible using a
>telephone system ... "

Telephone systems have a bandwidth of 4 kHz. Hence, I doubt they could
handle anywhere near 240-Mbits-per-symbol.

In FSK, more bits-per-symbol means more frequencies will be used. The
number of frequencies must not exceed a the 4 kHz bandwidth or aliasing
will occur.

In Binary-FSK, there is only 1-bit-per-symbol and thus, two frequencies --
one frequency represents a "1" while the other represents a "0".

MFSK is used to decribe FSK with higher-order than the simple Binary-FSK.

So I ask again, what is the highest-order FSK compatible with telephone
systems?

Higher-order = more bits-per-symbol
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Green Xenon <green_xenon1(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
(snip)

> Telephone systems have a bandwidth of 4 kHz. Hence, I doubt they could
> handle anywhere near 240-Mbits-per-symbol.

> In FSK, more bits-per-symbol means more frequencies will be used. The
> number of frequencies must not exceed a the 4 kHz bandwidth or aliasing
> will occur.

No. Most importantly, you ignore symbol rate.

> In Binary-FSK, there is only 1-bit-per-symbol and thus, two frequencies --
> one frequency represents a "1" while the other represents a "0".

One could have more frequencies, as you say, or more FSKs. That is,
multiple carriers each modulated at a low rate all at once. That
allows for a more adaptive system that gets around much of the
non-linearity in the phone system.

> MFSK is used to decribe FSK with higher-order than the simple Binary-FSK.

> So I ask again, what is the highest-order FSK compatible with
> telephone systems?

> Higher-order = more bits-per-symbol

As I said, at what symbol rate? Otherwise, the other answers
are correct. As one said, you can get 28 bits per symbol, and
one symbol per day. An amazing amount of processing power to
get 28 bits/day through the system.

-- glen
From: Green Xenon on
>Green Xenon <green_xenon1(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>(snip)
>
>> Telephone systems have a bandwidth of 4 kHz. Hence, I doubt they could
>> handle anywhere near 240-Mbits-per-symbol.
>
>> In FSK, more bits-per-symbol means more frequencies will be used. The
>> number of frequencies must not exceed a the 4 kHz bandwidth or
aliasing
>> will occur.
>
>No. Most importantly, you ignore symbol rate.
>
>> In Binary-FSK, there is only 1-bit-per-symbol and thus, two frequencies
--
>> one frequency represents a "1" while the other represents a "0".
>
>One could have more frequencies, as you say, or more FSKs. That is,
>multiple carriers each modulated at a low rate all at once. That
>allows for a more adaptive system that gets around much of the
>non-linearity in the phone system.
>
>> MFSK is used to decribe FSK with higher-order than the simple
Binary-FSK.

>> So I ask again, what is the highest-order FSK compatible with
>> telephone systems?
>
>> Higher-order = more bits-per-symbol
>
> As I said, at what symbol rate?

Let's assume a baud of 1-symbol-per-second.

From: Mark on

> So I ask again, what is the highest-order FSK compatible with telephone
> systems?
>
> Higher-order = more bits-per-symbol

Hint:::: SNR

Mark