From: Jimmy Johnson on
Thomas H. George wrote:
> Quote from /etc/default/grub:
>
> "...you can only use modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
> you can see them in real GRUB with the command vbeinfo."

Besides what Tom suggested if you have "hwinfo" installed you can run as
root 'hwinfo --framebuffer' and get the vga codes for your video card
and add it to the grub kernel line as 'vga=code', replace code with the
right code for you system.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian-Live - Sid - KDE 4.4 - installed at sda14
Registered Linux User #380263

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 19:53:18 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> Quote from /etc/default/grub:
>
> "...you can only use modes which your graphic card supports via VBE you
> can see them in real GRUB with the command vbeinfo."
>
> ?

Just wild guessing here but... you know that GRUB can be run inside a
session (open a terminal as root and type "grub", then you can "play" a
bit with it) so that "real GRUB" could be referring that you can test the
available modes just inside the true/real GRUB (at booting) and not
inside a GUI session once the vga drivers/modules are loaded into the
system.

P.S. I'm speaking about GRUB legacy, still learning how to deal with GRUB
2 O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 12:22:09AM -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>> Thomas H. George wrote:
>>> Quote from /etc/default/grub:
>>>
>>> "...you can only use modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
>>> you can see them in real GRUB with the command vbeinfo."
>>

>> Besides what Tom suggested if you have "hwinfo" installed you can
>> run as root 'hwinfo --framebuffer' and get the vga codes for your
>> video card and add it to the grub kernel line as 'vga=code', replace
>> code with the right code for you system.
>> --
>> Jimmy Johnson
>>
> I have hwinfo installed but hwinfo --framebuffer gives no response at
> all. hwinfo --short returns three screens of device information but
> nothing regarding framebuffer.

Try this as user: su -c 'hwinfo --framebuffer'
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263