From: peasthope on
I have a Debian router with dnsmasq working.
It connects to the ISP with DHCP. What is the
standard way to find the ip address or addresses,
which dnsmasq is using for upstream nameservers?
Here are some things which don't help.

joule:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.0.1
search pi.shawcable.net
joule:~# nslookup pi.shawcable.net
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find pi.shawcable.net: No answer

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Sparcstation 2, sun4c, netboots *.SUN4C; SCSI disks not yet detected.
Personal site works; http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/ .

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM, <peasthope(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
> I have a Debian router with dnsmasq working.
> It connects to the ISP with DHCP.  What is the
> standard way to find the ip address or addresses,
> which dnsmasq is using for upstream nameservers?
> Here are some things which don't help.
>
> joule:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
> #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> search pi.shawcable.net
> joule:~# nslookup pi.shawcable.net
> Server:         127.0.0.1
> Address:        127.0.0.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> *** Can't find pi.shawcable.net: No answer

>From /etc/dnsmasq.conf:
# Change this line if you want dns to get its upstream servers from
# somewhere other that /etc/resolv.conf
#resolv-file=

So resolvconf is setting the servers in resolv.conf to 127.0.0.1 and
dnsmasq is therefore using 127.0.0.1 as its upstream server, unless
you have modified /etc/dnsmasq.conf.

Even that might not be enough. Take a look at /etc/default/dnsmasq.
You have to set dnsmasq to ignore resolvconf in it.

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 12:14:35PM -0700, peasthope(a)shaw.ca wrote:
> I have a Debian router with dnsmasq working.
> It connects to the ISP with DHCP. What is the
> standard way to find the ip address or addresses,
> which dnsmasq is using for upstream nameservers?
> Here are some things which don't help.
>
> joule:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
> # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> search pi.shawcable.net
> joule:~# nslookup pi.shawcable.net
> Server: 127.0.0.1
> Address: 127.0.0.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> *** Can't find pi.shawcable.net: No answer
>
> Thanks, ... Peter E.
>
> --
> Sparcstation 2, sun4c, netboots *.SUN4C; SCSI disks not yet detected.
> Personal site works; http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/ .

Hello:

I use dnsmasq on OpenWrt. There the information of the DNS
servers is stored on /tmp/resolv.conf.auto. I don't know where is the
equivalent location on a Debian installation of dnsmasq. In the
absence of that knowledge try sending a SIGUSR1 signal to the daemon.

The manual states:

When it receives a SIGUSR1, dnsmasq writes statistics to the system
log. [...] For each upstream server it gives the number of queries
sent, and the number which resulted in an error.

--
Jaime

On 08/08/10 20:14, peasthope(a)shaw.ca wrote:
> I have a Debian router with dnsmasq working.
> It connects to the ISP with DHCP. What is the
> standard way to find the ip address or addresses,
> which dnsmasq is using for upstream nameservers?
> Here are some things which don't help.
>
> joule:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
> # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> search pi.shawcable.net
> joule:~# nslookup pi.shawcable.net
> Server: 127.0.0.1
> Address: 127.0.0.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> *** Can't find pi.shawcable.net: No answer

I am not sure I fully understand your question. However

dhclient, when it gets given a dhcp address will setup /etc/resolv.conf
to point to the upstream nameservers. At least that is what happens
with me. So I have both 127.0.0.1 but also the upstream nameservers in
my /etc/resolv.conf

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Alan Chandler wrote:
> On 08/08/10 20:14, peasthope(a)shaw.ca wrote:
>> I have a Debian router with dnsmasq working.
>> It connects to the ISP with DHCP. What is the
>> standard way to find the ip address or addresses,
>> which dnsmasq is using for upstream nameservers?
>> Here are some things which don't help.
>>
>> joule:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
>> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
>> resolvconf(8)
>> # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
>> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>> search pi.shawcable.net
>> joule:~# nslookup pi.shawcable.net
>> Server: 127.0.0.1
>> Address: 127.0.0.1#53
>>
>> Non-authoritative answer:
>> *** Can't find pi.shawcable.net: No answer
>>

> I am not sure I fully understand your question. However
>
> dhclient, when it gets given a dhcp address will setup /etc/resolv.conf
> to point to the upstream nameservers. At least that is what happens
> with me. So I have both 127.0.0.1 but also the upstream nameservers in
> my /etc/resolv.conf

I am behind a 2wire gateway that comes with the Telmex Infinitum
subscription, and my /etc/resolv.conf reads:

hugo(a)debian:/etc$ more resolv.conf
domain gateway.2wire.net
search gateway.2wire.net
nameserver 192.168.1.254

and ifconfig reads partially:

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:14:a4:4c:3c:d5
inet addr:192.168.1.194 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::214:a4ff:fe4c:3cd5/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:15905344 (15.1 MiB) TX bytes:1088705 (1.0 MiB)

So does that mean that the gateway acts as a nameserver?

I still have quite a lot to learn about gateways ;-) and it all worked
out of the box...

Hugo