From: UCLAN on
kony wrote:

>>So you would disregard HP's listed spec of:
>>
>>Ram (installed) 512 MB (1X512MB)
>>Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512MB)
>>
>>and the MB caveat of:
>>
>>Support up to maximum 2 GB memory (PC manufacturer's maximum memory
>>may differ)
>>
>>??
>

> Disregard max 1GB and assume 1GB per slot = 2GB total, along
> with the other timing and voltage issues I mentioned.

Hmmm...I wonder, then, why HP listed the max as 512MB x 2 ??
From: Paul on
UCLAN wrote:
> kony wrote:
>
>>> So you would disregard HP's listed spec of:
>>>
>>> Ram (installed) 512 MB (1X512MB)
>>> Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512MB)
>>>
>>> and the MB caveat of:
>>>
>>> Support up to maximum 2 GB memory (PC manufacturer's maximum memory
>>> may differ)
>>>
>>> ??
>>

>> Disregard max 1GB and assume 1GB per slot = 2GB total, along
>> with the other timing and voltage issues I mentioned.
>
> Hmmm...I wonder, then, why HP listed the max as 512MB x 2 ??

If a company has not tested the motherboard with 1GB sticks,
then they may not have rated it as capable of such. That could
be the reason for the conflicting info.

Paul
From: kony on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 21:09:52 -0700, UCLAN
<invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote:

>kony wrote:
>
>>>So you would disregard HP's listed spec of:
>>>
>>>Ram (installed) 512 MB (1X512MB)
>>>Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512MB)
>>>
>>>and the MB caveat of:
>>>
>>>Support up to maximum 2 GB memory (PC manufacturer's maximum memory
>>>may differ)
>>>
>>>??
>>

>> Disregard max 1GB and assume 1GB per slot = 2GB total, along
>> with the other timing and voltage issues I mentioned.
>
>Hmmm...I wonder, then, why HP listed the max as 512MB x 2 ??

Because that is the initial spec Asus provided to them, but
Asus goes back and retests new memory while HP doesn't want
the support costs.

I didn't check Kingston's website, but I checked crucial.com
and they don't list your board, but a contemporary KM400A
board from Asus on their list shows these as compatible:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=A7V400-MX

Your board does not have support for dual channel memory so
you don't necessarily even need to buy 2 x 1GB modules,
could just buy one and have 1.5GB total, or of course, buy a
standard module from someplace with a good return policy
like Newegg.com then if it doesn't work you are out the
return shipping cost and "maybe" 15% restock fee (they often
waive that fee if you call and ask them to).

.... or, if you're going to get a new machine anyway you
might find the secondary role for this system wouldn't
require over 1GB total, it used to be that 1GB seemed like
plenty to run WinXP or older.