From: Carl on
I have an HT-Link Cardbus/PCMCIA USB 2.0 2-port card (NEC / 32-bit).
My external hard drive w/USB adapter won't work with it, and it will
work plugged directly into a USB port on a different laptop. (My USB
ports got fried.) I got the card off E-Bay. My MP3 player works
plugged into that card. The drivers for the card say "Known
limitations: High Speed Isochronus, USB Composite Devices." (No other
details provided.) I don't know if the hard drive adapter is
"isochronous" or "composite." I've read there are problems with too
little power being supplied to the drive. The cable to the drive has
two USB plugs on one end, and it doesn't make any difference if I plug
both of them into the Cardbus card.

What card should I get? I see many different brands on E-Bay. I need
one that supplies sufficient power for an external hard drive, and
doesn't have any "known limitations" in the way.

From: Roger Mills on
On 23/05/2010 16:58, Carl wrote:
> I have an HT-Link Cardbus/PCMCIA USB 2.0 2-port card (NEC / 32-bit).
> My external hard drive w/USB adapter won't work with it, and it will
> work plugged directly into a USB port on a different laptop. (My USB
> ports got fried.) I got the card off E-Bay. My MP3 player works
> plugged into that card. The drivers for the card say "Known
> limitations: High Speed Isochronus, USB Composite Devices." (No other
> details provided.) I don't know if the hard drive adapter is
> "isochronous" or "composite." I've read there are problems with too
> little power being supplied to the drive. The cable to the drive has
> two USB plugs on one end, and it doesn't make any difference if I plug
> both of them into the Cardbus card.
>
> What card should I get? I see many different brands on E-Bay. I need
> one that supplies sufficient power for an external hard drive, and
> doesn't have any "known limitations" in the way.

The cardbus card probably *can't* supply enough power unless there's a
way of getting power to it from another source. I have a 4 x USB2 port
cardbus card made by Pluscom which has a little power socket on the
front in addition to the USB ports. It comes with a lead which plugs
into a normal USB port just for the purpose of supplying power to the card.

Do you have any other source of power for USB devices, such as a
USB-based mobile phone charger? If so, you could try plugging one of the
drive's plugs into *that* - which may solve the problem.
--
Cheers,
Roger
From: Paul on
Carl wrote:
> I have an HT-Link Cardbus/PCMCIA USB 2.0 2-port card (NEC / 32-bit).
> My external hard drive w/USB adapter won't work with it, and it will
> work plugged directly into a USB port on a different laptop. (My USB
> ports got fried.) I got the card off E-Bay. My MP3 player works
> plugged into that card. The drivers for the card say "Known
> limitations: High Speed Isochronus, USB Composite Devices." (No other
> details provided.) I don't know if the hard drive adapter is
> "isochronous" or "composite." I've read there are problems with too
> little power being supplied to the drive. The cable to the drive has
> two USB plugs on one end, and it doesn't make any difference if I plug
> both of them into the Cardbus card.
>
> What card should I get? I see many different brands on E-Bay. I need
> one that supplies sufficient power for an external hard drive, and
> doesn't have any "known limitations" in the way.

If you used an external 3.5" USB drive enclosure, they come
with their own power adapter. That is another way to solve the
problem.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/22-152-230-Z05?$S640W$

Paul

From: Carl on
On May 23, 12:37 pm, Roger Mills <watt.ty...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/05/2010 16:58, Carl wrote:
>

> > I have an HT-Link Cardbus/PCMCIA USB 2.0 2-port card (NEC / 32-bit).
> > My external hard drive w/USB adapter won't work with it, and it will
> > work plugged directly into a USB port on a different laptop. (My USB
> > ports got fried.) I got the card off E-Bay. My MP3 player works
> > plugged into that card. The drivers for the card say "Known
> > limitations: High Speed Isochronus, USB Composite Devices." (No other
> > details provided.) I don't know if the hard drive adapter is
> > "isochronous" or "composite." I've read there are problems with too
> > little power being supplied to the drive. The cable to the drive has
> > two USB plugs on one end, and it doesn't make any difference if I plug
> > both of them into the Cardbus card.
>
> > What card should I get? I see many different brands on E-Bay. I need
> > one that supplies sufficient power for an external hard drive, and
> > doesn't have any "known limitations" in the way.
>
> The cardbus card probably *can't* supply enough power unless there's a
> way of getting power to it from another source. I have a 4 x USB2 port
> cardbus card made by Pluscom which has a little power socket on the
> front in addition to the USB ports. It comes with a lead which plugs
> into a normal USB port just for the purpose of supplying power to the card.
>
> Do you have any other source of power for USB devices, such as a
> USB-based mobile phone charger? If so, you could try plugging one of the
> drive's plugs into *that* - which may solve the problem.
> --
> Cheers,
> Roger
> ____________
> Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is seldom
> checked.

The card has a hole in between the two USB port for a plug, but the
card didn't come with a cable. I checked E-bay. I could get a new
card that comes with a cable for the same price as just a cable.
From: Carl on
On May 23, 1:27 pm, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
> Carl wrote:
> > I have an HT-Link Cardbus/PCMCIA USB 2.0 2-port card (NEC / 32-bit).
> > My external hard drive w/USB adapter won't work with it, and it will
> > work plugged directly into a USB port on a different laptop. (My USB
> > ports got fried.) I got the card off E-Bay. My MP3 player works
> > plugged into that card. The drivers for the card say "Known
> > limitations: High Speed Isochronus, USB Composite Devices." (No other
> > details provided.) I don't know if the hard drive adapter is
> > "isochronous" or "composite." I've read there are problems with too
> > little power being supplied to the drive. The cable to the drive has
> > two USB plugs on one end, and it doesn't make any difference if I plug
> > both of them into the Cardbus card.
>
> > What card should I get? I see many different brands on E-Bay. I need
> > one that supplies sufficient power for an external hard drive, and
> > doesn't have any "known limitations" in the way.
>
> If you used an external 3.5" USB drive enclosure, they come
> with their own power adapter. That is another way to solve the
> problem.
>
> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/22-152-230-Z05?$S640W$
>
>     Paul

It's a 2.5" USB drive enclosure. It doesn't have a plug for a power
adapter.