From: Carl on
On May 24, 9:57 am, J G Miller <mil...(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:24:01 -0400, Jan Alter wrote:
> > In that case move the hdd to an external drive case that has an
> > additional power plug recepticle on it. Make sure you find out what the
> > internal connector is for your 2.5" hdd (IDE or SATA)
>
> Good advice, but if the PC has an eSATA connector, then even better,
> get an external case with an eSATA connection.
>
> USB 2 allows transfer speeds of up to 480 MBytes per second.
>
> eSATA allows transfer speeds of up to 3 GBytes per second.

The drive is a 2.5" IDE.
From: J G Miller on
On Monday, May 24th, 2010 at 09:59:21h -0700, Carl explained:

> The drive is a 2.5" IDE.

What is the brand and capacity of the disk?

From: Carl on
On May 24, 1:09 pm, J G Miller <mil...(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
> On Monday, May 24th, 2010 at 09:59:21h -0700, Carl explained:
>
> > The drive is a 2.5" IDE.
>
> What is the brand and capacity of the disk?

Seagate 80GB
From: Carl on
On May 24, 12:58 pm, Carl <car...(a)mailinator.com> wrote:
> > >It's a 2.5" USB drive enclosure. It doesn't have a plug for a power
> > >adapter.
>
> > In that case move the hdd to an external drive case that has an additional
> > power plug recepticle on it. Make sure you find out what the internal
> > connector is for your 2.5" hdd (IDE or SATA)
>
> > As an example. With these drives you would need to purchase an additional
> > power to USB cable, but it should certainly work if you have two USB ports
> > available and one to use for a mouse. This one has an internal SATA
> > connection.
>
> >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145329
>
> > --
> > Jan Alter
> > bear...(a)verizon.net
>
> That page says "There's no external power necessary either, since the
> drive gets its power from your computer."  I already have an external
> drive case - that's how I'm accessing my 2.5 " IDE drive via a USB
> port.
>
> I don't see any listing on E-Bay matching "wall wart USB socket" as
> someone else here suggested (0 listings), and I don't see anything
> relevant when searching for "power usb cable."  What EXACTLY is it
> called - a transformer you plug in the wall, and it has a cable with a
> USB socket on the end of it.  Thanks.

I found some on E-Bay searching with "usb ac power supply."
From: J G Miller on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:51:12 -0700, Carl wrote:

> Seagate 80GB

So the maximum fastest transfer rate for that will be 100 MBytes per second,
will it not?

Have you considered upgrading to something newer? ;)

500 Gbyte 2.5 inch Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA perhaps,
or Seagate equivalent?